Wireless Access

Contributor II

Backup best practices

Hi!

We have a fairly large Aruba environment and are trying to get a good backup flow going from all our controllers, Airwave and Amigopod. We are using Kiwi Cat tools to extract flashbackups, config etc from all controllers and it works nicely.

Is anyone doing this with Airwave? We are trying to do the exact same thing to Airwave but we are having some problems with the password prompt generated by the SCP copy. How does your script for extracting backups out of the Airwave machine look like?

The Amigopod does this by itself, but it names the file to date and time. This might be useful but since we are using scripts to manage the files on the server it lands on we want it to place it with the same name every time. Is this possible?

Is anyone using something else to handle all the backups?

Contributor II

Re: Backup best practices

The reason why Kiwi cat tools doesn't do this for us is because of some follow up questions it gets that Kiwi can't answer. Is there a switch to the command that stops it from asking questions so Kiwi can get through with it? How are you guys backing up your Airwave?

New Contributor

RANCID is also a good solution for backing up configs, but not files.  I am interested in this question as well.

******BUMP

MVP

We just use this line in a script:

scp root@air.wave.ip.address:/var/airwave-backup/nightly_data001.tar.gz .

I've pre-shared a certificate for root@airwave on my backup-box so this runs without password prompt.

--Matthew

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
New Contributor

using the pre-shared certificate for you backup box, how did you install it on the backup box and the airwave server?

MVP

There are numerous tutorials on the web for this, and the specifics will depend on your clinet machine.

I'm running Ubuntu Linux and Airwave is running CentOS of course.

there's a good writeup for linux to linux here:

http://blog.firedaemon.com/2011/07/27/passwordless-root-ssh-public-key-authentication-on-centos-6/

and Mac to linux here:

http://shapeshed.com/using_shared_keys_with_ssh_on_centos_5/

--Matthew

--Matthew

if I've helped, please give kudos
if I've provided a solution, please mark the solution so others can find it
seb
Occasional Contributor II

Hi,

I use a script running under a specific user on my Airwave server that pushes the "nightly_*.gz" files on a centralized server (witch is itself backup but an automate).

The script is run by a CRON under the specific user on the Airwave server.

You need to create an other CRON under the root user that gives to you specific user the rights on the "/var/airvawe-backup/" directory and sub files. (cause the Airwave backup script change rights of this directory to root only !)

Warning, the root user crontab is overwritten during upgrade  !!   :robotfrustrated:

We are backing up tons of Aruba controllers using some custom scripts that log in and perform the flashbackup and scp it out of the controller.

We have now moved over to the Solarwinds backup solution for Aruba. Currently it cannot do the same for Airwave (they are working on it) but Solarwinds even accepts a script so that you can download the flashbackup.

Pasquale Monardo | Senior Network Solutions Consultant
ACDX #420 | ACMP
[If you found my post helpful, please give kudos!]
Occasional Contributor II

I have read and learned a lot about backing up files using the backup command.  I was wondering if anyone did the same work with automation for the restoration of files with the restore command?  I know the thread is kind of old, but the need is great. 

For example can you cookie cutter the files?  Can you open the backup to remove and/or add files before bundling it all back up?  Writing a scipt to do just that would be easy.   First time keys, csr's, configuration files, identity and ca certs could be placed in the file in preperation for deployement and not needed files removed. 

The issue there is that the backup/restore scripts are tested for specific files.  So although you add files to the backup manually, it'd happen for that one backup which might get aged out over time (backups rotate, by default there are 4 backups maintained on server).  If you've got additional need to put other items into the backup, please let us know by filing it into the Ideas Portal on the support site.

Rob Gin
Senior QA Engineer - Network Services
Aruba Networks, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: