Wireless Access

last person joined: 14 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Bandwidth Contracts per AP-Group

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  Bandwidth Contracts per AP-Group

Posted Feb 06, 2018 01:22 PM

Hello,

I understand how bandwidth contracts work when using the "Per Role" and "Per User", but unsure about "Per AP Group". For example, if you have one controller but ten AP-groups using the same bandwidth restricting VAP (512kb up/down) using "Per AP Group", would each group have 512kb up/down?

• 2.  RE: Bandwidth Contracts per AP-Group

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Feb 06, 2018 01:40 PM

Do you have a screenshot where the per ap-group bandwidth is configured?

• 3.  RE: Bandwidth Contracts per AP-Group

Posted Feb 06, 2018 01:43 PM

Double post

• 4.  RE: Bandwidth Contracts per AP-Group

Posted Feb 06, 2018 03:19 PM
      |   view attached

@cjosephwrote:

Do you have a screenshot where the per ap-group bandwidth is configured?

Here you go.

• 5.  RE: Bandwidth Contracts per AP-Group

Posted Feb 07, 2018 10:44 AM

I have the same / similar issue, I have a per user policy at the moment due to there only being 40Mbit bandwidth on the internet pipe.

I am upping this to 500Mbit and now I want to limit only AP-Groups that are running over 10Mbit WAN links.

Anything that runs on the local LAN to the 500Mbit internet pipe I want to give a lot more bandwidth, say 10Mbit per user.

The problem i have is that the entire estate runs on predominantly the same SSID's for Public and Private and the user role is the same accross the entire estate so if I up the limit to the user role it will affect the WAN links.

I didnt want to have to create different SSID's and user roles for WAN and LAN so was hoping there was a way to apply a AP-Group bandwith policy so that my WAN ap-groups are set at the same level they are now and the LAN AP-groups are given the new 10Mbit limit per user.

Any ideas?

• 6.  RE: Bandwidth Contracts per AP-Group

Posted Feb 07, 2018 12:21 PM

What kind of security are you doing on the SSID you are trying to throttle? If you are using a RADIUS server you could differentiate the role the users get by AP-Group. Those different roles could have different bandwidth rules. This would be simple in Clearpass. Even if it is just a MAC-Auth.

• 7.  RE: Bandwidth Contracts per AP-Group

Posted Feb 08, 2018 04:32 AM

Unfortunately this is a dirty WPA2 network for staff devices only so just the Passphrase. It doesnt let anyone near the Local LAN it just gets them to the internet for them to VPN into the LAN if tey need to. We are addressing this sometime in 2019 (its this far away as we have two LAN's and two WAN's to replace before then) with a RADIUS authentication setup, but for now i have to manage it like it is.

I am trying to apply AP-Group Bandwidth policy in a Lab today to see how it works.

Many Thanks

Luke