Wireless Access

Regular Contributor I

Blacklisting LOTS of clients

I do not want students with school provided laptops to connect to the public guest internet. (They should connect to Student wifi)

I have the mac address of all 2000 netbooks and would like to blacklist them all from connecting to the guest network. Is there an easy way to do this? I'd like to cut copy paste a script into the cli blacklisting clients from the public but doesn't look like I can actually blacklist them if it's not currently connected to the public ssid.

Maybe blacklisting isn't the best way to do this, if anyone else can think of a way to keep the kids off the public internet I'm open to suggestions.

Guru Elite

Re: Blacklisting LOTS of clients

Do you use ClearPass?

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Regular Contributor I

No client does not have ClearPass

Guru Elite

Jaasperff wrote:

I do not want students with school provided laptops to connect to the public guest internet. (They should connect to Student wifi)

I have the mac address of all 2000 netbooks and would like to blacklist them all from connecting to the guest network. Is there an easy way to do this? I'd like to cut copy paste a script into the cli blacklisting clients from the public but doesn't look like I can actually blacklist them if it's not currently connected to the public ssid.

Maybe blacklisting isn't the best way to do this, if anyone else can think of a way to keep the kids off the public internet I'm open to suggestions.

If your netbooks run windows, push a wireless group policy to those devices for the guest network, but with a WPA2 key.  They will not be able to connect.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Regular Contributor I

Hadn't thought of that... Good idea.

Thanks !!!

Guru Elite

Another trick would be to deny the computer from connecting to that SSID via group policy.

guest-deny-gpo.PNG

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
Regular Contributor I

Well that worked for about 15 minutes...

Students have discovered how to wipe the Chromebooks clean and remove the management profile. When they do this the only thing that they can connect to is the Public because we send the preshare key for the student network via the management profile.

So back to blacklisting...  If they wipe the machine and can't get on the public and also can't get on the student then I'm guessing (hoping) they will stop doing it.

(Don't ya just love kids?) Think I need to hire a couple of them to help me out around here. :smileyvery-happy:

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: