Wireless Access

last person joined: 17 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can I create individual user accounts on a single SSID?

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Can I create individual user accounts on a single SSID?

Posted Jan 16, 2012 11:53 AM

Folks,

Bear with me as I ask what must be for most of you a very basic wireless networking question. 

I recently installed a wireless network using a dozen Aruba 105s and I would like to limit access to the network and monitor usage - can I create individual accounts (user names / passwords) on a single SSID?

Any suggestions is appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael  

• 2.  RE: Can I create individual user accounts on a single SSID?

Posted Jan 16, 2012 12:52 PM

yes you can, to restrict a user you can assign the user to a role where you can assign ACL to restrict access. 

• 3.  RE: Can I create individual user accounts on a single SSID?

Posted Jan 16, 2012 01:37 PM

What type of authentication do you use?  Is this a pre-shared key, captive portal or do you have authentication via RADIUS?

If you use a pre-shared key, you will have to derive a role based on MAC address or device type (DHCP fingerprint).

If it is a user authenticated SSID (captive portal or RADIUS), then you can apply different roles based on the user ID.  You will need to add a server rule that looks at the RADIUS response or the internal DB user role.

See the Validated Reference Guides (VRDs) at http://www.arubanetworks.com/technology/reference-design-guides/ for more info.  There is a good VRD on DHCP fingerprinting, guest access (if you are using a captive portal) and RADIUS setup (in the Mobility Controllers VRD).