Wireless Access

last person joined: 42 minutes ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Can you use a RAP as an IAP?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Can you use a RAP as an IAP?

Posted May 30, 2018 04:12 PM

Can a RAP be converted to an IAP?

I want to be able to stand up a SSID completely seperate from my network and the internet. A Little stand-alone wireless network. 

I know I can do this with an IAP, but is it possible to use a RAP in this way to broadcast an SSID without the need to have a controller involved?

I don't currently have the RAP in front of me to test and want to know if this plan is possible

• 2.  RE: Can you use a RAP as an IAP?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 30, 2018 05:27 PM

If your RAP was sold to you as an IAP, you can convert it back to an IAP and do this.

If it is a RAP, and it is a WPA2-PSK network, you can set the forwarding mode of the Virtual AP as "bridged" and the RAP Mode to "Persistent" Always and the Remote AP should stay up "persistently".  There are a few drawbacks and possible gotchas, however..  It is much easier to start out with an Instant AP. definitely.

Please see the remote AP validated reference guide here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Remote-AP-Networks/ta-p/155140

Screenshot 2018-05-30 at 16.34.07.png