Wireless Access

last person joined: 7 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Changing Controller IP - confirming steps

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Changing Controller IP - confirming steps

Posted Jun 27, 2012 03:50 PM

I have a client that needs to change the IP of the single core 3600 controller.

APs (model 93s) all obtain IP via DHCP - DHCP option 43 is set to the controller IP, in addition 'aruba-master' DNS entry points to the controller IP as well.  IIRC the APs will reboot on loss of connection to the controller.

So the plan is:

- Modify DHCP and DNS to point to new controller IP

- Change Controller IP

- Rely on AP auto-reboot to re-establish wireless connections.

Am I making the correct assumptions?

Thanks for any info!

• 2.  RE: Changing Controller IP - confirming steps

Posted Jun 27, 2012 05:37 PM

@KEklund wrote:

I have a client that needs to change the IP of the single core 3600 controller.

APs (model 93s) all obtain IP via DHCP - DHCP option 43 is set to the controller IP, in addition 'aruba-master' DNS entry points to the controller IP as well.  IIRC the APs will reboot on loss of connection to the controller.

So the plan is:

- Modify DHCP and DNS to point to new controller IP

- Change Controller IP

- Rely on AP auto-reboot to re-establish wireless connections.

Am I making the correct assumptions?

Thanks for any info!

The above steps will work. 

Please note that changing the IP address of the controller will require a reboot. 

--

HT 

• 3.  RE: Changing Controller IP - confirming steps

Posted Jun 28, 2012 02:05 PM

Yes, above steps are fine.

How are you going to change the controller-ip? Is new IP going to be in the same subnet/vlan as the current one or is it gonna be completely new subnet?

The reason I am asking this is, if new IP is on the same vlan/subnet as exsisting one and your plan is to do "no ip address" on that VLAN and than add new IP address, in that case controller will not allow you to remove old IP as it is the controller-ip address.