Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Channel Switch Announcement - Enable or Disable?

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Channel Switch Announcement - Enable or Disable?

Posted Jul 17, 2013 05:57 PM

It seems like CSA is a feature that you would want to enable.  I understand what it does and it doesn't appear as though turning it on shouldhave any negative consequences.  However, it's not enabled by default, so there must be a reason for that.  I'd like to consider enabling it, especially for areas where interference is such an issue that the error threshold is met and the APs change channels.  It would seem that enabling CSA would improve the client experience in these cases.  Any thoughts?

• 2.  RE: Channel Switch Announcement - Enable or Disable?
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 17, 2013 07:09 PM

The simple answer is no.

Some clients support it.  (802.11h)

Others refuse to associate when that is enabled.  What are those clients and is it worth finding out what they are randomly?  No.

Mark this is one other thing NOT to do.

• 3.  RE: Channel Switch Announcement - Enable or Disable?

Posted Jul 18, 2013 08:19 AM

Thank you, Colin.  There seem to be several freatures that if enabled, may keep clients from associating.  I wish this sort of stuff were better documented as people may turn these features on without knowing what could happen.  That's why I always ask first.

• 4.  RE: Channel Switch Announcement - Enable or Disable?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2013 08:32 AM

The unwritten rule is, "If a feature is not on by default", there is a specific reason, so do not turn it on unless you test it in the lab with all your clients.  There are some features that only provide benefit to a subset of clients, but to the detriment of others.  This changes depending on manufacturers and drivers, so it is impossible to keep up with this list.

As I say that some clients have problems with CSA and 802.11h, those manufacturers might have fixed those issues and I could be wrong.  Is the performance benefit worth turning it on?...no.

As more and more devices depend on wireless mobility, the more features and knobs have been put in to take advantage of those devices, but the more conservative administrators need to be to ensure that nothing breaks.

In many TAC engagements if a customer is having alot of trouble with his wireless and it cannot be pinpointed, the typical strategy is to go back to the defaults and work from there.

• 5.  RE: Channel Switch Announcement - Enable or Disable?

Posted Jul 18, 2013 08:41 AM

Your input is appreciated.  I will keep that in mind.

• 6.  RE: Channel Switch Announcement - Enable or Disable?

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jul 18, 2013 08:43 AM

With that being said, there are alot of smart customers/partners on this list who are willing to share their experiences about specific features and pinging them is by far the best way to make sure all your bases are covered.