Wireless Access

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cisco AP Hardware Replacement

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  Cisco AP Hardware Replacement

Posted Mar 11, 2013 10:26 AM

Hey guys

I am currently configuring an Airwave server for 2000+ Cisco APs and have some questions in regard to the "hardware replacement" feature. How does it really work? If I replace an access point with a different one, Will the new one import the exact configuration? Will it appear in VisualRF in the same spot?

Thanks for the help

Regards

Sara

• 2.  RE: Cisco AP Hardware Replacement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 11, 2013 01:25 PM

Hello

I'm afraid that the AP would have a different MAC address and therefore would have to be placed in Visual RF. That would be like adding a new AP to the network, just remove the missing /old AP and then replace it with the new one.

Regards

• 3.  RE: Cisco AP Hardware Replacement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 11, 2013 06:13 PM

The replace hardware option is for if you want to maintain the historic data.  The workflow should be:

1.  Turn on / install new device

2.  Disable the old device

3.  Go to old device's manage page

4.  Select 'replace hardware'

5a. If new device is in 'new devices', you can select it from there

5b. If new device is not in 'new devices', then add the device using Device Setup -> Add, and then select the device as a replacement

6.  Power down the old device

The option also appears if you go to a group / folder list, click on 'modify devices' (checkboxes should appear next to device names).  Then select the device that is being replaced and choose the 'replace hardware' option at the bottom.

• 4.  RE: Cisco AP Hardware Replacement

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 11, 2013 11:55 PM

In response to VisualRF:  The hardware replacement will swap the old AP for the new AP on the floor plans (when following previously outlined steps).