Wireless Access

last person joined: 11 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cisco to Aruba Anchor Controller for Guest

This thread has been viewed 26 times
  • 1.  Cisco to Aruba Anchor Controller for Guest

MVP
    Posted Dec 20, 2017 10:42 AM

Hi AirHeads,

Crazy idea, but I'm hoping it's something viable...

We have a remote site that has a Cisco WLC with a Guest network. We have a remote site that has an Aruba Controller with the same Guest Network. The Aruba site has a GRE tunnel back to the Data Center's Aruba Controller, which acts as the anchor for captive portal and guest authentication to ClearPass. Theoretically, GRE is an open standard, so nothing proprietary happening between the Aruba Controllers. Could I also setup a GRE tunnel from the Cisco WLC to the Aruba Controller and have it do the same.

Client would be untrusted wired client, forced to captive portal for registration and MAC authentication, placed into guest role after authentication on the Data Center controller and forced through the GRE tunnel for all traffic.

The reason we want to do this is we have a content filter at DC that does not exist at remote site with Cisco WLC and instead of installing a new device, we want to try and use existing equipment to accomplish the goal of content filtering.

Thanks.

• 2.  RE: Cisco to Aruba Anchor Controller for Guest
    Best Answer

MVP
    Posted Dec 20, 2017 12:14 PM

The more I research, the more I'm leaning toward it not being possible. It looks like to setup an Anchor controller on the Cisco side, its looking to build a mobility group, which requires another Cisco WLC. The other option looks like a feature called EoGRE, which again seems to be Cisco proprietary, so that won't work.

Everything I'm looking at tells me Cisco doesn't allow standard GRE connections, not sure if anyone can confirm this?

Would love to hear a story of this being done successfully, but starting to doubt it.