Wireless Access

last person joined: 4 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cloning / Copying AP Groups

This thread has been viewed 37 times
  • 1.  Cloning / Copying AP Groups

Posted Nov 23, 2012 06:09 AM

Hi,

I made a copy of an existing AP Group using the method described in a post I found:

http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/ArubaOS-and-Controllers/Easy-way-to-copy-AP-Group/m-p/14397/highlight/true#M6115

So I made a new group using CLI command:

ap-group <new-group>

Then I cloned the contents from an existing group with command:

clone <old-group>

I then made a new AAA profile which I wanted to be used with the new ap-group. When I changed the AAA profile in the NEW ap-group, it also became active in the OLD ap-group. I then went and changed the aaa-profile in the OLD ap-group to the correct one, but then it became active also in the NEW ap-group... As if these two ap-groups were linked together in some way.

Is this a feature of ArubaOS (6.1.2.2) that I have failed to understand or is it some kind of bug? If this is a feature, how can I make changes to these two ap-groups separately or do I always have to create an ap-group from scratch, even if they are almost similar?

• 2.  RE: Cloning / Copying AP Groups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2012 06:29 AM

The top-level in a WLAN is a Virtual AP.  Here is an abbreviated version the output of "show profile-hierarchy:

ap-group
        wlan virtual-ap
            aaa profile
            wlan ssid-profile
        wlan virtual-ap2
    aaa profile 2
    wlan ssid-profile2

The question is, what do you want to copy?

If you simply want to make the wireless networks in one group, available on access points in another group, you simply clone the AP group, just like you did.  What it does not change is the fact that other devices in the first AP group are still tied to the settings under the ap-group that you just cloned.

If you want to make changes to a setting so that it does not affect the previous AP Group, say the AAA profile, you need to (1) Make the change (2) save a copy (3) click apply.

The AAA profile is an exception in that you have to make the change to a AAA profile under Configuration> Security> Authentication.  You cannot make changes to a AAA profile under Configuration> Wireless> AP Configuration> AP Group> Edit.

• 3.  RE: Cloning / Copying AP Groups

Posted Nov 23, 2012 07:09 AM

Ok,

Thank you for your answer. I will study this further and digest the info :)

• 4.  RE: Cloning / Copying AP Groups

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 23, 2012 07:18 AM

Specificially to answer what you were trying to do, you would have to (1) Save A copy of the Virtual AP (2) Change the AAA profile in the new virtual AP to the new AAA profile you constructed.