Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Cluster - New Standby Controller for APs/Clients

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Cluster - New Standby Controller for APs/Clients

Posted Aug 08, 2018 08:15 PM

I have a cluster of 4 7240XMs in our new ArubaOS 8 Environment. I know that f the current Active Controller becomes unavailable for APs/Clients, they will fail-over to the Standby-Controller - but at what point does a new "Standby Controller" get created/assigned to the APs/Clients that failed over - or does it?

• 2.  RE: Cluster - New Standby Controller for APs/Clients
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 08, 2018 08:53 PM
    The cluster leader will elect the new S-AAC based on load / availability

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Pardon typos sent from Mobile

• 3.  RE: Cluster - New Standby Controller for APs/Clients

Posted Aug 08, 2018 09:03 PM

Thanks Victor. One more question. We rolled our ArubaOS 8 Upgrade into our "7240 to 7240XM" controller upgrade/migration project. Started out with ArubaOS 8 straight on 7240XM and did a three week migration plan. We ended up in a situation where we were limited on "10G Uplinks" - so gradually we've been moving them over each day.

Remove 1G uplink from Active Controller - Clients/APs fail over to Standby Controller seamlessly - Install 10G Uplink. Was curious if thoughts on a better way of upgrading uplinks on an already in-production clustered controller that already has clients/aps terminated on it - like example if removing the active controller from the cluster profile - would that cause clients/aps to auto-move to the standby controller? Or if what I've been doing has probably been fine? Once I get the last two controllers up to 10G - I'll be adding our redudnant links-port-channels back into the mix. One step at a time.

• 4.  RE: Cluster - New Standby Controller for APs/Clients

Posted Aug 08, 2018 10:17 PM
    Yes APs and clients should dynamically move to the nodes but I suggest to do it during non peak hours

Thank you

Victor Fabian

• 5.  RE: Cluster - New Standby Controller for APs/Clients

Posted Aug 09, 2018 10:21 AM

@Victor Fabian wrote:
    Yes APs and clients should dynamically move to the nodes but I suggest to do it during non peak hours

Thank you

Victor Fabian

Thanks Victor - and so true on the "during non-peak hours". I've been doing it about 7:00AM each morning (giving cluster a day to adapt). Just have one more left after today. The stand-by fail-over as worked pretty well with client sessions (only one dropped ping) for one client I test with each morning - but I'm not that crazy to do it during the day. :-)