Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Configuring APs for HA:FF

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Configuring APs for HA:FF

Posted Jan 21, 2014 06:18 AM

Hi.

I am redundancy for a customer

The customer have one 3200XM and one 3400 controllers and about 40 APs

This of course means that he cannot have complete redundancy for all APs since the 3200XM only have capacity for 32APs.

This is not a problem as the customer dont need redundancy on all APs, but there are some APs that are critical and needs redundancy.

I was thinking of setting up a High Availability: Fast Failover configuration with Active/Active deployment.

Can I decide which controller will be prefered by the AP by using the LMS IP and Backup LMS IP parameters?

If this is the case, I could use this parameter to specify which APs will get redundancy and which will go down in case the 3400 dies.

• 2.  RE: Configuring APs for HA:FF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 21, 2014 08:13 AM

You don't need fast failover to set this up.  The most crucial access points could be in an ap-group that has an LMS-ip and a backup LMS-ip.  The others will be in an ap-group that only has an LMS-IP.

• 3.  RE: Configuring APs for HA:FF

Posted Jan 21, 2014 01:21 PM

Take note using LMS and backup LMS will cause the AP to setup the GRE tunnel again to the BK LMS. I would prefer to use VRRP if the contrroller is in the same location, thus there is no need to rebuild the tunnel and clients will be least affected.

Gordon

• 4.  RE: Configuring APs for HA:FF

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 21, 2014 04:43 PM

Fast Failover could also work here as well (and is now preferred over VRRP)

• 5.  RE: Configuring APs for HA:FF

Posted Jan 21, 2014 07:35 PM

Yes Fast Failover works as well and prefer but need to be on the latest AirOS. :smileyhappy:i

• 6.  RE: Configuring APs for HA:FF

Posted Mar 10, 2014 03:09 PM

@SethFiermonti wrote:

Fast Failover could also work here as well (and is now preferred over VRRP)

but how would you enable it for only some of the APs, it seems to be a whole controller kind of deal right?