Wireless Access

Frequent Contributor II

Configuring High Availability

Hello,

I was attempting to configure high availability on 6.3.1.2 and I had it all configured correctly.

I had a 7210 local controller set as the active controller with 233 APs connected to it.  don't plan on adding many more.

I have these other controllers available for use.

3600 - master

3400 - local

3400 - local

3400 - local

3400 - local

Can I use these other controllers as standby to cover all of my APs?

The 3600 and 2 3400's should give me a total of 256 APs for HA.  Does it work this way?

Also when I had just the 3600 connected I had a number of APs with the "S" flag when I did a show ap database.

Does this just mean that HA was working?

Thanks!

Re: Configuring High Availability

You'll need to aps split into separate ap-groups and separate ap-system-profiles such that the backup-lms points to the different controllers.

Personally, I would try to leave the master 3600 free from APs since you have the capacity with 4 x 3400 controllers.

Provision 60 aps into each group, with the backup-lms to point to a 3400.

I've not setup the HA feature with 6.3, but it should work with the above implemented.

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
Frequent Contributor II

That is actually the way I have it set up currently.

What is the difference between this setup and the high availability with fast failover?

Normally when an AP failsover to the backup-lms, it has to go through the process of building the GRE tunnel before it can operate.

With the HA or high-availability feature of 6.3 enabled, the APs will build this second tunnel to the backup-lms, thereby enabling it to come up quickly with minimal downtime in the event of a failover.

The S flag on the controller means that AP is in standy mode but has already built the GRE tunnel.

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: