Wireless Access

BBF
Occasional Contributor II

Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

I couldnt find a clear answer. I have a single IAP-215 running stand alone with its own virtual controller. Can i add a standard AP-215 (not IAP) and have it be controlled by the existing IAP?

Guru Elite

Re: Configuring multiple AP-215 with an IAP-215 as the controller?

No. You'll need a controller for the AP-XYZ.

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480
BBF
Occasional Contributor II

Does that change if I have multiple IAP-215 ?

I found this which suggests a virtual controller can control other devices. 

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/InstantMobile/Advanced/Content/Instant%20User%20Guide%20-%20volumes/Virtual%20Controller.htm

"Virtual Controller

Aruba Instant does not require an external mobility controller to regulate and manage the Wi-Fi network. Instead, one IAP in every network assumes the role of virtual controller. It coordinates, stores, and distributes all the settings required to provide a centralized functionality to regulate and manage the Wi-Fi network. The Virtual Controller (VC) is the single point of configuration and firmware management.When configured, the virtual controller sets up and manages the VPN tunnel to a mobility controller in the data center.

The VC also functions like any other AP with full RF scalability. It also acts as a node, coordinating DHCP address allocation for network address translated clients ensuring mobility of the clients when they roam between different IAPs."

Frequent Contributor I

when you have multiple IAP's they will all join in a group (as long as they are on the same network) and be controlled by the virtual,  but they all must be IAP models.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: