Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Connect AP to Fast Ethernet switch

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Connect AP to Fast Ethernet switch

Posted Jul 30, 2018 04:03 AM

A customer is ours need very high density access points for public areas so we are looking into proposing AP345. To our surprise, it turns out that their existing switches are Fast Ethernet which we advised them to replace but they are reluctant to do so.

How can I explain the effect it would have to connect the APs to 10/100 switch in terms of performance metrics? If I can have specific numbers or values then it would be great.

• 2.  RE: Connect AP to Fast Ethernet switch

MVP
    Posted Jul 30, 2018 09:30 AM

Directly from the AP-340 Series Data Sheet:

"maximum data rates of 2,166 Mbps in the 5 GHz band1 and 800 Mbps in the 2.4 GHz band (for an aggregate peak data rate of 3.0 Gbps in dual-band mode and 4.3 Gbps in dual-5 GHz mode)"

In addition to the wireless speeds, wired speeds up to 2.5Gbps with the HPE SmartRate switches.

In theory, by using a 10/100 switch port - you're causing a bottle neck, which will take 2,166Mbps of data and cram it into hopefully at least 100Mbps opening. Hopefully those numbers can open some eyes. 

The entire standard of 802.11ac is thought of as "High Throughput", just like 802.11ax is "High Efficiency". If you're going to use 10/100 ports, I'd say you could almost argue staying with 802.11n, but even that goes 300Mbps+.