Wireless Access

last person joined: 9 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

DCHP server behaviour with master redundancy

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  DCHP server behaviour with master redundancy

Posted May 13, 2013 02:03 PM

does anyone have experience with the build in DHCP server in a master redundancy setup? i got two masters in master redundancy setup on a vlan where the APs are also located and setup DHCP there. but when an AP does a DHCP request which controller will answer?, i see a risk on duplicate IPs being handed out here.

• 2.  RE: DCHP server behaviour with master redundancy

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2013 03:23 PM

They both answer.  You would have to use a split scope on both.

• 3.  RE: DCHP server behaviour with master redundancy

Posted May 13, 2013 03:32 PM

thanks for confirming that cjoseph. i figured as much but to try to build a test setup for this felt a bit too much.

when i do something like pool of 128 adresses on controller 1 and 128 addresses on controller 2 and one of the is full, will that have negative impact on the dhcp in general or will the client just pick up the dhcp offer from the controller which has room?

• 4.  RE: DCHP server behaviour with master redundancy
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 13, 2013 03:39 PM

@boneyard wrote:

thanks for confirming that cjoseph. i figured as much but to try to build a test setup for this felt a bit too much.

when i do something like pool of 128 adresses on controller 1 and 128 addresses on controller 2 and one of the is full, will that have negative impact on the dhcp in general or will the client just pick up the dhcp offer from the controller which has room?

It is identical to any environment where you have more than one device giving out ip addresses to clients for the same subnet.  You have to split the scope/exceptions between both controllers or use a centralized DHCP server.  Otherwise, the DHCP servers will give out duplicate ip addresses.