Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Devices behind wireless bridges fail to obtain IP address

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Devices behind wireless bridges fail to obtain IP address

Posted Aug 14, 2012 02:28 PM

So I have a case open now for a few weeks and also dragged my Cisco Engineer's in to this with no resolution.  I had a half dozen Linksys WET610N wireless bridges online for a couple months.  Everything was working great, for the most part I have IP to Analog phone adapters behind them.  We were trouble shooting an unrelated speed issue my RAP users were experiencing, during that process we upgraded firmware from 6.1.3.0 to 6.1.3.3.  We also found that we had somehow added a couple extra gateways under Network > IP > IP Routing that were already managed by my Cisco core.  Removing those extra gateways fixed my speed issue.

After this all my wireless bridges basically quit allowing anything behind them to get an IP and go online.  The bridges themselves can get an IP and go online just fine.  We've tried everything we can think of.  Static IP on the bridge and devices behind it, different SSID's on different VLANS, putting the extra gateway address's back on the controller, tried a netgear bridge with same results.  Double checked all my ARP settings in both the Aruba and Cisco equipment and they match up.  Just hoping someone else may have encountered a similar issue.

• 2.  RE: Devices behind wireless bridges fail to obtain IP address
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 14, 2012 03:13 PM
    Disable the "broadcast-filter arp" under the virtual-ap profile and test if the clients get an IP address after that.

The sequence of steps would be as follows:

(master) (config) #wlan virtual-ap <vap-name>
    (master) (Virtual AP profile "<vap-name>") #no broadcast-filter arp
    (master) (Virtual AP profile "<vap-name>") #end
    (master) #write memory

• 3.  RE: Devices behind wireless bridges fail to obtain IP address

Posted Aug 14, 2012 03:44 PM

Doesn't help, pretty sure we already tried that in the past.

• 4.  RE: Devices behind wireless bridges fail to obtain IP address
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 14, 2012 09:23 PM

If issue started after the upgrade then most probably it should be related to "Broadcast Filter ARP" as mention by Hardik.

Upto 6.1.3.1, this knob was by default disabled. From 6.1.3.2 onwards it is enabled. 

I would request you to try once againby disabling this knob.

• 5.  RE: Devices behind wireless bridges fail to obtain IP address
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 15, 2012 09:07 AM

You are correct but there was one more step to it.  Not only does "Drop Broadcast and Multicast" need turned off but "Convert Broadcast ARP requests to unicast" needs turned off.

Thanks