Wireless Access

last person joined: 15 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Difference between Decrypt-Tunnel & Tunnel Mode

This thread has been viewed 25 times
  • 1.  Difference between Decrypt-Tunnel & Tunnel Mode

Posted Jan 03, 2013 05:59 AM

What is Difference between Decrypt-Tunnel & Tunnel Mode. Please explain in simple words.

Thank You

• 2.  RE: Difference between Decrypt-Tunnel & Tunnel Mode
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2013 06:46 AM

Hi

The main difference is this:

• Decrypt-tunnnel: The traffic is decrypted in the access point. Therefore, the traffic between the AP and the controller is ethernet over GRE. Careful! This mode only works if control plane security is enabled.
    • Tunnel mode: The traffic is decrypted in the mobility controller. Therefore, the traffic between the AP and the controller is 802.11 over GRE.

Regards

• 3.  RE: Difference between Decrypt-Tunnel & Tunnel Mode

Posted Jan 03, 2013 09:34 AM

I tried using Decrypt-tunnel on an AP-105 and couldn't get it to work.  The controller could provision the AP and it would show connected, however the radios never turned on.  When I changed it back to Tunnel it started working. 

Is there a limitation as to which APs can support Decrypt-tunnel or is this the control plane security you mentioned?  Where do you enable the control plane security?

Thanks!

• 4.  RE: Difference between Decrypt-Tunnel & Tunnel Mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2013 09:35 AM

Hi

Make sure you have enabled Control Plane Security.

Regards

• 5.  RE: Difference between Decrypt-Tunnel & Tunnel Mode

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 03, 2013 09:36 AM

Control Plane Security being enabled is Mandatory for Decrypt Tunnel.  If you do not have control plane security enabled, enabling it will entail a 10-minute outage as all of your access points certify themselves with the controller.  Is it worth that to turn Decrypt-Tunnel on?

• 6.  RE: Difference between Decrypt-Tunnel & Tunnel Mode

Posted Jan 03, 2013 09:39 AM

For the installation I'm working on it's not important.  Just want to make sure I know for future use.  May do an installation in the future where that would be a viable solution and it would be good to know before hand.

Thanks!

• 7.  RE: Difference between Decrypt-Tunnel & Tunnel Mode

Posted Jan 04, 2013 06:58 AM

Thanks Samuel Pérez Buñuel. That is what i am looking for.

Thanks again

@aedwards wrote:

For the installation I'm working on it's not important.  Just want to make sure I know for future use.  May do an installation in the future where that would be a viable solution and it would be good to know before hand.

Thanks!