Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Differences between Aruba firewall and ACL versus others?

Hello,

Could you help me understand the differences between best practices, or should I say bad habits, learned elsewhere for firewalls and ACLs and best practices for Aruba?

Some specific things come to mind for an Aruba controller:

• Is there EVER a reason to have the firewall do a reject?  My previous experience is that you do not want to do this as it gives the intruder information.  With the exception of troubleshooting it should be avoided.  Am I missing something?
  • Rules should start with specific and go to general.   Correct?
  • Are there any differences to be aware of from elsewhere?

Regards,

David

Guru Elite

Re: Differences between Aruba firewall and ACL versus others?

djkershaw wrote:

Hello,

Could you help me understand the differences between best practices, or should I say bad habits, learned elsewhere for firewalls and ACLs and best practices for Aruba?

Some specific things come to mind for an Aruba controller:

• Is there EVER a reason to have the firewall do a reject?  My previous experience is that you do not want to do this as it gives the intruder information.  With the exception of troubleshooting it should be avoided.  Am I missing something?
  • Rules should start with specific and go to general.   Correct?
  • Are there any differences to be aware of from elsewhere?

Regards,

David

The paradigm is pretty much the same.

One reason why you would do a reject is for performance:  There are some clients that will introduce a wait state when there is no response, as opposed to moving onto a different method of communication when there is a reject.  This is only one example that is not specific to Aruba:  I am sure there are others.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: