Wireless Access

last person joined: 12 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Disconnect based on time quota

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Disconnect based on time quota

Posted Jan 16, 2018 02:54 PM

We'd like to change from a scheduled disconnect (currently done through controller) to a time quota for our students. In essence, we'd allow them to have a connection for up to a set number of hours each week. They could use those hours however they wish. In other words, just like a total bandwidth limit.

Anyone have any idea how we might accompolish that using the controller and/or ClearPass and/or AirWave?

Thanks!

--

Ryan

• 2.  RE: Disconnect based on time quota

Posted Jan 17, 2018 03:38 PM

• 3.  RE: Disconnect based on time quota

Posted Jan 18, 2018 03:16 PM

Thanks for the link but this doesn't seem to be my case. Folks are already authenticated, what I'm trying to do is give them a bank of hours (say four) of connectivity to be used after midnight each night. If they use all four of those hours on Monday night, then Tuesday at midnight they will lose their connection as they do now based on the rules in the controller.

Also, the second step in these instructions doesn't line up with what I see. I have no option to choose Endpoint as the first drop-down, not can I choose "Guest Role ID" in the second line.

Thanks for the link though, it is good info.

• 4.  RE: Disconnect based on time quota

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 18, 2018 10:03 PM

Sorry, but I can't think of a way to do this without custom code with the API.

• 5.  RE: Disconnect based on time quota

Posted Jan 19, 2018 09:21 AM

I did receive the following from an Aruba/HPE SE. I haven't had a chance to dig into it yet though.

Thanks for the help.

"Take a look at the link below which is a tech note from version 6.6 but I believe this is what you are trying to accomplish.  If you build an enforcement profile based on session restrictions ( time/day of week) you can set a session check as weekly with duration of 4 hours.  In the service role mappings assign a role based on if its Monday – Friday and assign the enforcement profile to that role that restricts the total session.

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ClearPass/6.6/PolicyManager/Content/CPPM_UserGuide/Enforce/EPSession_Restrictions.htm#Examples

Take a look at the examples at the end of the document and you should be able to build a scenario that would work."