Wireless Access

Regular Contributor I

Does outdoor planner require Google Earth Pro?

I'm currently playing around with the outdoor planner software.  I'm using the free version of Google Earth.  Everything works fine on the Outdoor Planning Tool, but when I get to the Calculate Data section, I get the below error.

"Uh Oh...

For Analysis please contact an administrator and send them a copy of the kmz file you tried to upload"

Re: Does outdoor planner require Google Earth Pro?

Hi Salvi,

If you are using GoogleEarth for commercial purposes, then you are required to own a Pro license for GoogleEarth.

The technical issue you ran into has nothing to do with Google Earth.  It may be either a procedural issue or a KMZ issue. 

Can you please forward the KMZ directly to me at chuck@arubanetworks.com?

Thanks.

-cl
Regular Contributor I

Will send you the file in a few.  I'm just testing the software so I can show it to management and a Pro license be purchased.

Regular Contributor I

Any update on this?  Sent you the file but never received a response.  We purchased the Pro license, but it's still doing the same thing.  I have another file that was created by our support engineer and it works fine.

You can PM it to me, or email me at 'jhoward -at- arubanetworks -dot- com' and I can look and see if I see anything odd about it. 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Regular Contributor I

Contacted TAC, issue ended up being the naming of the AP locations on Google Earth.  The Aruba tool doesn't accept any type of -/\, etc type of characters in the names.  It doesn't provide a good description on the error message though to figure it out what the problem is.

You're right, the error codes are less than helpful much of the time. Good rule of thumb that I have used for years which hasn't let me down yet, is I always use lower case, no special characters outside of a '-', and keep the lengths of the names used for placemarks as short as possible. I also never put more than 30-40 placemarks per KMZ. So on my larger projects with 200-300 APs, I break them up into multiple, smaller KMZs and render separately, and then for any documentation, I will open and turn them all on. There's loads of reason why, but more than anything it keeps fast renders possible and helps the machine run smoother.

Additionally, I usually create a folder called 'Locations' as required, but also outside of that (under the root) also keep a folder called 'Objects' that I put all non-placemark data in. Most of the time the planner mucks with the polygon overlays (usually changes a transperant color to a solid white) but that's an easy fix post-processing.

Good luck, glad TAC got you straightened out.

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer
Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: