Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

FQDN of Controllers

This thread has been viewed 6 times
  • 1.  FQDN of Controllers

Posted Jan 29, 2015 03:43 PM

We're going to put new 7220 in production configured with centralized licensing and VRRP, my question is 

After failover to the secondary, would the secondary controller assumes the fqdn of the primary during failover?

• 2.  RE: FQDN of Controllers

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 29, 2015 03:57 PM

It does not.

• 3.  RE: FQDN of Controllers

Posted Jan 29, 2015 04:57 PM

Thats what I thought, so after the failover to secondary the fqdn is the secondary controller correct?

Also does the VIP play a part in this? Our VIP is the aruba master DNS entry.

• 4.  RE: FQDN of Controllers

Posted Feb 05, 2015 12:49 PM

It sounds like you statically set a DNS record called 'aruba-master' which maps to the VRRP address.  If so, yes - you're connecting the the secondary controller if the primary controller fails.

When you setup VRRP, you're going to have 3 IPs total (at least):  1 unique IP for each master and the shared VRRP (VIP) address.  You've alreadey setup a DNS entry for  the VIP so I'd setup 2 other DNS addresses that map to the unique IPs on each master.  This way you can reach both controllers via DNS, regardless of who is VRRP master.