02-13-2014 07:38 AM
Here is a feedback about my last migration from 2 Aruba6000 with M3 card in Master/Local (VRRP) mode to 2 new Aruba 7220, with minimal downtime (less than 10 seconds).
Some information about my installation :
2 Aruba6000 with M3 Master/Local mode VRRP
2 Sites (Local on the main site and Master on the second site where IT are)
500 AP105 (400 for main site, 100 for second site)
512 licences AP per controllers
5 SSID - 2 SSID on 5Ghz for professionnal use // 3 SSID on 2.4Ghz for patients and guests access
300 regular users
150 critical users (medical panel with thin client used to dispensing medication)
1) I upgraded my Aruba6000 to version 220.127.116.11 during nightly backup. Thanks to Airwave, this operation was scheduled.
2) I updated the new 7220 to the same version .
3) I extracted configurations from my Aruba6000 and I changed port number to fit with 7220 (GE0/0 become GE0/0/0)
4) I imported configurations in 7220 and I tested communication between them
5) I imported licences witch are the old licences transferred to new controllers
6) Installation in racks of the two 7220, just under the Aruba6000. Note that my controllers are installed on two separate sites (4Km between them)
7) Wait the D-day :smileywink:
I have a 30 minutes window to perform the migration, including rollback if it fails!
1) On the main site : Disconnect fibre from Local controller 6000 and wait that every AP bootstrap to the Master = 3 seconds of downtime for user connected in the Local
2) Connect fibre to the new local controller 7220. AP will reconnect slowly to the new controller. No downtime there
3) Go to the second site
4) Same operation, disconnect fiber from the controller 6000 and wait that ervery AP bootstrap to the Local this time = 3 seconds of downtime for users connected on the Master
5) Connect fibre to the new local controller 7220. AP will reconnect slowly to the new controller. No downtime there
6) (Optional) Reset MAC address in Airwave
7) (Optional) I took the opportunity to migrate licences in centralized mode
8) Finish, I got 2 new controllers and happy users :smileylol: