Wireless Access

last person joined: 2 days ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Ferry Boat 15km coast to coast

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Ferry Boat 15km coast to coast

Posted Apr 23, 2012 10:10 AM

Hi to the community,

I am interesting in providing a solution with MIMO outdoor antennas and .11n in three different points.

Point A and point B are the coast stations and the point C is the Ferry Boat which goes from Point A to Point B and back again.

The distance between point A and B is not more than 15km. Ferry must have a constant connection with either one of the coast stations (WDS). 

My question is what kind of antennas I have to install to every point? Take into consideration that the ferry boat requires wide beamwidths both in azimuth and elevation. Thank you in advance for your replies!

• 2.  RE: Ferry Boat 15km coast to coast

Posted Apr 25, 2012 07:33 PM

The antenna used on the Ferry boat has to be low gain Omni since the boat will wallow in the water.

As a result, the antenna used on the coast has to be very high gain to cover the distance, such as 23dBi and above. However, Aruba products are not certified to use such high gain antennas. The maximum we've certified is 14dBi, the ANT-2x2-5614.

Best,

Xu

• 3.  RE: Ferry Boat 15km coast to coast

Posted Apr 27, 2012 06:49 AM

ic, 

I had the impression that the distance is limited by the weekiest antenna of a link (in this case by the low gain omni) regardless the gain of the antennas of the coast points.

Is there any way to use multiple sector antennas to replace a single omni? (sectorized omni)

• 4.  RE: Ferry Boat 15km coast to coast

Posted Apr 27, 2012 12:15 PM

Since the boat will move on the water, you need both good horizontal and vertical coverage. Most high gain antenna will only give you one, either horizontal or vertical, but not both. That's why low gain antenna is preferred.

Best,

Xu