Wireless Access

last person joined: 13 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Find a user in a multicontroller environment

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Find a user in a multicontroller environment

Posted May 30, 2012 06:22 PM

Hey Airheads people,

Have a question for those perssons who have been involved in big deployment of at leat 2 controllers architecture's.

I have multiple controllers, 9 local controllers and 4 masters, Talking about troubleshooting a user, Do we have a command that regardless in which controller I/m logged I can find in which controller do we have a users registered? Maybe I can user the user IP and the MAC of the user/ laptop and maybe I can use the BSSIC of the AP, but my main question is with this little bit of information can I find in which controller do we have the user located regardless of which controller did I get connected to find this user?

Hope you can help me with this one.

Thank you.

Regards.

• 2.  RE: Find a user in a multicontroller environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 30, 2012 06:26 PM

ArubaOS 3.x does not have a global user search function.  ArubaOS 5.x does have one.  Most organizations with a network your size use Airwave to manage their controllers which would allow you to quickly find users, regardless of where they are.

• 3.  RE: Find a user in a multicontroller environment

Posted May 31, 2012 07:10 PM

Yes, we have airwave, how can I track a user form airwave to konw in which controller he is working and also find the AP where the device is connected and make radio and transfer rate testing over the user?

Thank you.

• 4.  RE: Find a user in a multicontroller environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2012 07:15 PM

@esesmac wrote:

Yes, we have airwave, how can I track a user form airwave to konw in which controller he is working and also find the AP where the device is connected and make radio and transfer rate testing over the user?

Thank you.

If you have the latest airwave you can do #1 not sure what yo want to accomplish for #2.

• 5.  RE: Find a user in a multicontroller environment

Posted May 31, 2012 07:36 PM

We have here a team of 6 engineers that needs to track WIFI incidents problems reported to Engineering team, so we need airwave to tell us, based of the user IP address or in fact based on the area where the users is reporting the incident, We need airwave to tell us if we have a coverage, power, interference, or bad performancde of the user. For this we will need to know how to look for this information in airwave and then based on airwave tracking we need to know in which controller the user is located to run debugs in the specific controller were the user is reporting problems.

However if Im not being clear or if this is not the way to troubleshoot I can read suggestions in order to accomplish our goal, our main goal is troubleshoot and find quickly air , interferecen and coverage issues.

Thank you.

• 6.  RE: Find a user in a multicontroller environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted May 31, 2012 07:39 PM

The answer is absolutely.  if you send syslog as well as traps to airwave, it will send all relevant information about a client, access points, controllers, to airwave and categorize it.  You can even initiate client debugs from Airwave if you upgrade to the latest 7.4.8 and run a set of commandline commands to determine client state.  Please read the release notes from the latest Airwave.

• 7.  RE: Find a user in a multicontroller environment

Posted May 31, 2012 07:42 PM

I will need to check our Airwave current release.

Thank you, Im trying to read anything I can do as fast as I can.

Regards.

• 8.  RE: Find a user in a multicontroller environment

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jun 01, 2012 06:06 AM

Keep asking and we will come up with a plan.