Wireless Access

MVP

Force RAP enets to bounce when LMS switchover occurs

I've noticed that when RAPs fail over to their backup LMS any wired tunneled/split-tunneled devices maintain their IP from controller they were previously on.  This is a problem when your primary and backup LMS have different IP space because the client is hanging on to an invalid IP.  As far as I can tell when switchover occurs, the physical interfaces do not bounce, so the wired client never senses the network changing so their IP is retained.  Is there anyway to force a port to bounce when LMS switchover occurs?  This would solve my problem.

=======================================
If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

Re: Force RAP enets to bounce when LMS switchover occurs

thecompnerd,

Are those devices plugged directly into the RAP, or a switch?  Also, you should disable Remote AP-backup on your enet profile so that it does not attempt to keep the ethernet interfaces up during failover.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

They're directly connected to the RAP.

Thanks for the tip.  Are you suggesting this will resolve the issue in my situation or would it only help if both primary/backup LMS are unreachable?

If a reply adequately addresses your issue, please click on the "Accept as Solution" and "Give Kudos" button so this information can benefit other users.
Guru Elite

I suggesting it could help resolve your issue.

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

MVP

Thanks, but no luck.  The computer is maintaining basic connectivity (LED stays on and computer NIC stays active) while the LMS is unavailable.  I left enet0 unplugged for 2 1/2 min so the RAP had no connectivity at all, and the computer's port didn't appear to shutdown.  Is it possible that it's more like a soft-shutdown than a complete shutdown?  Maybe the RAP is just dropping all traffic received on the port?

Guru Elite

Your config needs to be examined. There are quite a few users who see it within 30 seconds.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: