Wireless Access

last person joined: 23 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Guest network running at limited speed

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Guest network running at limited speed

Posted Aug 24, 2018 01:31 PM

Hi all,

I have a simple network consisting of three 215 iap's and one 205 iap. 

I have two networks set up on the virtual controller; one as a normal unrestricted network, and another setup as a guest network with the client ip managed by the virtual controller. 

The download speed on the unrestricted network is reaching excess of 180mb/s whereas the speed of the guest network reaches a max of 8mb. 

All access points are plugged into an unmanaged POE switch which is plugged directly into a standard ISP issued router. 

Any ideas on where/why the speed could be limited on the guest SSID? 

Thanks in advance

• 2.  RE: Guest network running at limited speed

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 24, 2018 07:16 PM

@benm87 wrote:

Hi all,

I have two networks set up on the virtual controller; one as a normal unrestricted network, and another setup as a guest network with the client ip managed by the virtual controller. 

The download speed on the unrestricted network is reaching excess of 180mb/s whereas the speed of the guest network reaches a max of 8mb. 

All access points are plugged into an unmanaged POE switch which is plugged directly into a standard ISP issued router. 

Thanks in advance

Which AP is the currently elected master? Which AP are you associated to when testing, both the "unrestricted" network and the "guest" network? What else is going on in your environment while you're testing download speed?

• 3.  RE: Guest network running at limited speed

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Aug 25, 2018 04:43 AM

Just to add, do you have any bandwidth limits set on the SSID in question? Under WLAN Settings (when you Edit the SSID), there is the option to restrict limits based on per user.

• 4.  RE: Guest network running at limited speed

Posted Aug 27, 2018 01:21 PM

@Craig Syme wrote:

Just to add, do you have any bandwidth limits set on the SSID in question? Under WLAN Settings (when you Edit the SSID), there is the option to restrict limits based on per user.

Thanks for the reply, 

I had a look and the bandwidth limits are blank. I even added a 50mb limit onthe guest ssid just to see if it would make any difference, but it had no affect on the speed of the guest network, it still wouldn't go above 8mb, whereas the the unrestricted would hit speeds close to 200mb. 

It does feel like there is a restriction somewhere, are there any further settings for the guest vlan at all?

Thanks 

• 5.  RE: Guest network running at limited speed

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Aug 27, 2018 02:21 PM
    There is also the possibility of a restriction on the user role. If you check the User Role (last screen of the WLAN wizard...you can check under here).

Are all interfaces connected at full duplex?

Sent from my iPhone

• 6.  RE: Guest network running at limited speed

Posted Aug 28, 2018 05:07 AM

@Craig Syme wrote:
    There is also the possibility of a restriction on the user role. If you check the User Role (last screen of the WLAN wizard...you can check under here).

Are all interfaces connected at full duplex?

Sent from my iPhone

There's also no restriction on this screen either.

Yep there all connected at full duplex. 

I'm going to try using injectors and bypassing the switch to see if there's any difference. I will post my findings here. 

Thanks

• 7.  RE: Guest network running at limited speed

Posted Aug 27, 2018 01:16 PM

@cclemmer wrote:

@benm87 wrote:

Hi all,

Thanks in advance

Which AP is the currently elected master? Which AP are you associated to when testing, both the "unrestricted" network and the "guest" network? What else is going on in your environment while you're testing download speed?

Thanks for the reply, 

Currently one of the IAP215's is elected as the master. Would it make a difference if the 205 was the elected master? 

I've tried being associated with each of the AP's when testing, and I've even disconnected the 205 in case there was an issue there, but I had the same result in each scenario. 

As this is a new install, It's only my laptop, phone or ipad connected to the network during testing in which I have the same results on each device. 

I've even looked at the router that the access points/switch are connected to but I can't see anything suspect at this point. 

Thanks again for your help