Wireless Access

last person joined: 5 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

HA Fast Failover - use VRRP VIP as LMS IP?

This thread has been viewed 3 times
  • 1.  HA Fast Failover - use VRRP VIP as LMS IP?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 06:02 AM

Hello!

I was reading a mass of topics about HA Fast Failover, and found no absolut clarifyng answer for this question:
    Is it meaningful or recomendet to use a VRRP VIP as LMS IP instead of LMS and backup LMS?

My idea is to setup two VRRP instances between two local controllers, for example.
    Controller 1 would be master at VRRP instance one, and Controller 2 at VRRP instance two.
    Then, two AP Groups point with LMS to VRRP VIP one respectively two.

Both controllers would be members of an HA group in dual mode.

Does this make sense?

Thank you!

• 2.  RE: HA Fast Failover - use VRRP VIP as LMS IP?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 06:13 AM
    Use the controller IP addresses as the LMS and backup LMS setting.

Do not use VRRP as the LMS when doing HA fast failover.

Reason? When using HA fast failover, APs will create a connection back to the LMS and another connection to the backup LMS.

Details? http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_63_Web_Help/Content/ArubaFrameStyles/VRRP/HighAvFastFailover.htm

• 3.  RE: HA Fast Failover - use VRRP VIP as LMS IP?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 06:40 AM

Hello!

OK.
    But LMS would be used at the initial connection.
    The backup tunnel would be established to the second controller, like its set in the HA Group Configuration.

So if i leave backup LMS blank at the AP Group configuration and set the LMS IP to the VRRP VIP, it would not work?

I understand that the AP only connects to the backup LMS if the LMS is down.
    So my conclusion is that, if the VRRP Master is down, a rebooting AP would connect to the VRRP Backup wich is now master.
    The only thing is, the backup tunnel can not be established along the HA Group configuration because one controller is down.

• 4.  RE: HA Fast Failover - use VRRP VIP as LMS IP?
    Best Answer

Posted Aug 09, 2017 06:49 AM

If you use VRRP IP for the LMS and have no backup LMS you are not enabling HA Fast failover and will not get the benefits of it.

Use the controller IPs for LMS and backup LMS, not VRRP.

Another article on this topic: http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Controller-Based-WLANs/How-does-high-availability-fast-failover-feature-work-and-how-to/tac-p/286279

• 5.  RE: HA Fast Failover - use VRRP VIP as LMS IP?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 07:10 AM

Hello!

@jrwhitehead wrote:

If you use VRRP IP for the LMS and have no backup LMS you are not enabling HA Fast failover and will not get the benefits of it.

The second article you recomended to me says:

NOTE:  The IP address of each controller must be reachable by APs, and must be the IP address that appears in the "show controller-ip" command on specific controllers

Does this mean, if LMS points to VRRP VIP instead of controller ip, HA Fast failover would not be enabled for this specific AP Group?

Thank you for claryfication!

• 6.  RE: HA Fast Failover - use VRRP VIP as LMS IP?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 07:16 AM
    Yes, if you use VRRP instead of LMS and backup LMS pointing at the controller IP addresses you are NOT using HA fast failover.

• 7.  RE: HA Fast Failover - use VRRP VIP as LMS IP?

Posted Aug 09, 2017 07:18 AM

Hello,

thank you, now it's clear for me!