Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

High capacity VLAN setup

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  High capacity VLAN setup

Posted Mar 15, 2012 03:39 PM

We trying to create a wireless setup for 3,000 + guest users , and our concern was around what type of VLAN setup we should do to provide IP address for all those users:

First option:

- configure the controller as a dhcp server and create several IP segments / VLANS and do VLAN pooling on the guest VAP ( I think this the best option) but somebody suggested that this could potentially take a lot of resources from the controller

Second option:

- configure the controller as a dhcp server and create just one IP segment /VLAN that would allow me to support 3000+ users (one big broadcast domain) 

I was wondering if anybody has implemented a configuration for a scenario like this and what type of VLAN setup worked.

Thanks 

• 2.  RE: High capacity VLAN setup
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Mar 15, 2012 03:43 PM

@elmontro wrote:

We trying to create a wireless setup for 3,000 + guest users , and our concern was around what type of VLAN setup we should do to provide IP address for all those users:

First option:

- configure the controller as a dhcp server and create several IP segments / VLANS and do VLAN pooling on the guest VAP ( I think this the best option) but somebody suggested that this could potentially take a lot of resources from the controller

Second option:

- configure the controller as a dhcp server and create just one IP segment /VLAN that would allow me to support 3000+ users (one big broadcast domain) 

I was wondering if anybody has implemented a configuration for a scenario like this and what type of VLAN setup worked.

Thanks 

- Never use the internal DHCP server for more than 256 clients.  Use an external one in this case
    - Break up the Subnets into /23s if you can
    - Use the high density VRD here: http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/DG_HighDensity_VRD.pdf to get more details about what to look out for.

• 3.  RE: High capacity VLAN setup

Posted Mar 19, 2012 12:03 AM

What is the basis for this statement? 

- Never use the internal DHCP server for more than 256 clients.

Are their limitations we should be aware of?

We currently service several  /23 networks on a controller without any .apparent issues.

Thanks,

• 4.  RE: High capacity VLAN setup