Wireless Access

New Contributor

How Can i overcome competing access points?

I work in a tall office tower. We have 4 105s that have over 80 conflicting access points. We have alot of dropped connections going on and i suspect the other ap's since our coverage is complete.

Community Administrator

Re: How Can i overcome competing access points?

[ Edited ]

Wow thats some serious spectrum abuse. I would venture to assume there was not any channel planning for your neighbors?

Have you performed any analysis?

CWNA, ACMP, Security +
New Contributor

Other than those detected APs, I have not. I am new here and i am coming from Meraki APs.

Guru Elite

zed111111,

That is expected in an office tower environment to see tons of access points, because there is alot of open air, and your access points have GREAT receive sensitivity, so they can see alot of things.  The main thing to keep in mind is that it only becomes a problem if the signal or energy rom those foreign access points is so strong that it "drowns out" or signficantly conflicts with the signal between your APs and clients.

How many is the maximum simultaneous clients do you have your our wireless network?

How many WLANs are you broadcasting?

Do you have drop broadcast and multicast enabled?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

We max out at about 165 clients. A mix of laptops, tablets, and smart phones.

We have 3 WLANS 1 guest, 1 for employees, and one for contractors.

Broadcast and Multicast are both disabled.

Guru Elite

Are you using Instant (IAP)?  So you should have Broadcast/Multicast ALL http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_40_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/CaptivePortal/ConfWLANGuest.htm

Is that what you have configured?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

New Contributor

Broadcast and Dynamic Multicast are set to disabled. Should i set broadcast to all? and enable both multicasts?Capture.PNG

Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

Broadcast Filtering to ALL:

all.png

Do that on all of your networks.

Edit:  This is especially important if your wireless clients share a layer 2 VLAN with wired clients.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: