Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

I am trying to figure out how users are able to log into our client side without giving a username?

I am new to the community and just recently started a new position.  I am rrying to figure out how a user is able to connect to our guest account without giving a username.  We collect the MAC addresses, and the system is set up to require a username, and most users do.  It is very random.  From device and OS.

Any thoughts or ideas would be a great help.

Guru Elite

Re: I am trying to figure out how users are able to log into our client side without giving a userna

KD,

If you could PM me your email address, I can send you a link so you can send your logs and we could attempt to explain it.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

Re: I am trying to figure out how users are able to log into our client side without giving a userna

When you say "you collect the mac addresses", where are these mac addresses input by you?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

[ Edited ]

A custom report called "client hog" was created before I arrived. It shows MAC address, Usernames, MB used, length of time on, Avg Usage, Connection Mode, and Device Type. When looking at this file, randomly, there are users in the report that show all the above information but the user name. There is no pattern I have been able to figure out on how this happens.

When looking at the controller it also shows the same information as the file.

Guru Elite

We have to figure out what the pieces of this system are.  There is a controller, but what other products are involved in your guest solution?

Colin Joseph

The AP is an Aruba 134 and the controller is an Aruba 3400

I will re-send the file we talked about earlier to you. The file was converted through the web brower.  

Guru Elite

From your logs, the captive portal authentication profile only requires a user to put in an email address that has an @ symbol.  There is no authentication:

aaa authentication captive-portal "default"
   default-role "SSI_Guest"
   default-guest-role "SSI_Guest"
   no user-logon
   guest-logon

guest-logon means that the user only needs to put in an email address to get on the guest captive portal.

Colin Joseph

That makes sense and can be seen in the logs.  

Still wondering how some people are able to not show any username at all.  I have attached an example of what we see.

Guru Elite

If they are merely associated to the open SSID, but did not login, there will be no username.

Colin Joseph

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: