Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IAP Clusters and firmware

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  IAP Clusters and firmware

Posted Apr 07, 2017 10:32 AM

Hi guys,

I have a question regarding IAP clusters and firmware. When setting up an IAP cluster, do all the IAPs should have the same firmware version? Or do the slave IAPs download the firmware version from the master IAP/virtual controller, as they do with a conventional controller?

Regards,

Julián

• 2.  RE: IAP Clusters and firmware
    Best Answer

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 07, 2017 11:13 AM

If the IAP's are of the same class (the firmware is split into different "classes" accomodating groups of models of IAP's) then the slave IAP's will download and upgrade their firmware from the master elected IAP. You can also use the automatic upgrade option which fetches image from the cloud.

If it is a mixed class IAP deployment  you can specify the image file for different platforms if doing a manual upgrade. 

• 3.  RE: IAP Clusters and firmware

Posted Apr 07, 2017 12:08 PM

Hi zailon0,

Then I understand if it is a mixed class IAP deployment then the slave IAPs will NOT download and upgrade their firmware from the master elected IAP?

Regards,

Julián

• 4.  RE: IAP Clusters and firmware

MVP EXPERT
    Posted Apr 08, 2017 04:03 AM

Hi, these are your options. It depends on the model of the slave IAPs and the images available. If you're IAP's have an internet connection then this is the easiest option. 

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/Instant_41_WebHelp/InstantWebHelp.htm#UG_files/IAP_maintenance/Firmware_Image_Server_in.htm?Highlight=upgrade

• 5.  RE: IAP Clusters and firmware

Posted Apr 10, 2017 10:32 AM

Hi zailon0,

I had this problem, the slave IAPs neither joined the master IAP nor downloaded its firmware and configuration because they are different models. After manual upgrading the slave IAPs, the joined the master IAP and downloaded the configuration. Thanks.

Regards,

Julián