Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

IP Mobility - Mobile IP - VLAN Mobility

This thread has been viewed 4 times
  • 1.  IP Mobility - Mobile IP - VLAN Mobility

Posted Aug 10, 2012 07:10 PM

What is the difference between enabling IP Mobility under Advanced Services which issues the “router mobile” command, compared to enabling Mobile IP within a Virtual AP profile which issues:

wlan virtual-ap "Virtual AP name"

mobile-ip

In our environment we do not need layer 3 roaming, and all AP’s that support a building all terminate to the same controller. We currently do NOT have Mobile IP enabled but we DO have Mobile IP and VLAN Mobility enabled. I don’t think we want either one of these enabled, and am wondering if having these enabled might be a bad idea. Currently if I am at site A and I shut down my laptop and go to site B 10 miles away who has a Virtual AP profile that specifies a different VLAN, I will actually still have the IP from site A even though we do not have Mobile IP enabled, and this is a feature we do not require.

Thanks for your advice!

• 2.  RE: IP Mobility - Mobile IP - VLAN Mobility

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Aug 11, 2012 11:59 AM

@11davie wrote:

What is the difference between enabling IP Mobility under Advanced Services which issues the “router mobile” command, compared to enabling Mobile IP within a Virtual AP profile which issues:

wlan virtual-ap "Virtual AP name"

mobile-ip

In our environment we do not need layer 3 roaming, and all AP’s that support a building all terminate to the same controller. We currently do NOT have Mobile IP enabled but we DO have Mobile IP and VLAN Mobility enabled. I don’t think we want either one of these enabled, and am wondering if having these enabled might be a bad idea. Currently if I am at site A and I shut down my laptop and go to site B 10 miles away who has a Virtual AP profile that specifies a different VLAN, I will actually still have the IP from site A even though we do not have Mobile IP enabled, and this is a feature we do not require.

Thanks for your advice!

mobile-ip under the virtual AP allows clients to roam from one controller to the other on the same VLAN.  I think that is the setting you want.

ip mobility allows a device to roam from one controller to the other when the same user VLANs are not available on both controllers.