Wireless Access

Contributor I

IP Mobility - Mobile IP - VLAN Mobility

What is the difference between enabling IP Mobility under Advanced Services which issues the “router mobile” command, compared to enabling Mobile IP within a Virtual AP profile which issues:

wlan virtual-ap "Virtual AP name"

mobile-ip

In our environment we do not need layer 3 roaming, and all AP’s that support a building all terminate to the same controller. We currently do NOT have Mobile IP enabled but we DO have Mobile IP and VLAN Mobility enabled. I don’t think we want either one of these enabled, and am wondering if having these enabled might be a bad idea. Currently if I am at site A and I shut down my laptop and go to site B 10 miles away who has a Virtual AP profile that specifies a different VLAN, I will actually still have the IP from site A even though we do not have Mobile IP enabled, and this is a feature we do not require.

Thanks for your advice!

Guru Elite

Re: IP Mobility - Mobile IP - VLAN Mobility

11davie wrote:

What is the difference between enabling IP Mobility under Advanced Services which issues the “router mobile” command, compared to enabling Mobile IP within a Virtual AP profile which issues:

wlan virtual-ap "Virtual AP name"

mobile-ip

In our environment we do not need layer 3 roaming, and all AP’s that support a building all terminate to the same controller. We currently do NOT have Mobile IP enabled but we DO have Mobile IP and VLAN Mobility enabled. I don’t think we want either one of these enabled, and am wondering if having these enabled might be a bad idea. Currently if I am at site A and I shut down my laptop and go to site B 10 miles away who has a Virtual AP profile that specifies a different VLAN, I will actually still have the IP from site A even though we do not have Mobile IP enabled, and this is a feature we do not require.

Thanks for your advice!

mobile-ip under the virtual AP allows clients to roam from one controller to the other on the same VLAN.  I think that is the setting you want.

ip mobility allows a device to roam from one controller to the other when the same user VLANs are not available on both controllers.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: