Wireless Access

MVP

LMS IP vs VRRP

We are currently using just LMS IP primary / backup , is there any advantage of using VRRP vs just LMS IP ?

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
MVP

Re: LMS IP vs VRRP

good question.

I also have sites with LMS/BACK LMS and  sites with VRRP MASTER/STANDBY MASTER.

both methods are really good for fast hopping from controller to controller during a failover in the master.

THE VRRP method much easier from the AP side (because the AP connect to only 1 address)..

but i would like to hear also , which method is better,and of course why?

*****************2Plus Wireless Solutions****************************
Aruba Airheads - Powered By community for empower the community
************ Don't Forget to Kudos + me,If i helped you******************
Highlighted
Aruba

[ Edited ]

When using Primary/Backup LMS, the AP will not attempt to connect to the Backup LMS until its bootstrap threshold is met (default is 8).   In this case, the AP may be not fail over until 8 missed heartbeats.   When using VRRP, your failover time may be slightly quicker.  The reason for this is VRRP failover is handled between the two controllers.  From the AP's perspective, it only knows of one IP.    It would of course need to recreate its tunnel to the new controller; but there is no waiting for a threshold to be met.

• Often times it depends on your controller architecture.    If you want to provide redundancy where controllers are not on the same layer 2 network, then Primary/Backup LMS is your only way to go.    If they are on the same network, then VRRP is often preferred.    
  • Using VRRP will also address issues where one or two APs missed heartbeats for some reason and failed to another controller.   If preemption is not on, you'll end up with APs across two controllers when you may not  intend to.
  • VRRP offers additional flexibliity in your termination options.    There is also the possibly of using VRRP for your primary LMS and then providing another IP for your backup LMS; essentially providing tertiary redundancy.   

I think the Campus VRD covers some additional advantages.

------------------------------------------------
Systems Engineer, Northeast USA
ACCX | ACDX | ACMX

MVP

Thanks 

Thank you

Victor Fabian
Lead Mobility Engineer @ Integration Partners
AMFX | ACMX | ACDX | ACCX | CWAP | CWDP | CWNA
Search Airheads
Showing results for