Wireless Access

last person joined: 10 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Layer-3 (IP Mobility issue)

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Layer-3 (IP Mobility issue)

Posted Feb 28, 2015 02:57 PM

User gets connected to AP-A SSID-A which is bind to VLAN 10. After very short time (2mins to 3mins) user roams from that location to other and get trying to connect to AP-B  SSID-B which is bind to VLAN 15. Both AP's are configured on different AP groups but on same controller, but user is unable to connect to SSID-B after roam. In order to connect the user to SSID-B I have to manually blacklist the client then whitelist and now user is able to connect to SSID-B. So, In this case I need Layer-3 IP mobility.

Please confirm should i configure the IP mobility domain on the controller which is a master/Standalone (in my case) ? or the mobility domain works between master or local controller only?

• 2.  RE: Layer-3 (IP Mobility issue)

Posted Feb 28, 2015 05:45 PM

Since you only have one controller what I recommend is that you configure one single VAP (SSID) on each AP-GROUP with a VLAN pool so your all clients maintain the same IP address accros the board

• 3.  RE: Layer-3 (IP Mobility issue)

Posted Mar 01, 2015 12:25 AM

But its customer requirement, they dont want to aggregate all the users on same SSID/VLAN. Thats why they have configured two different SSID with different vlans. All these SSID's are open. So, they want if user roam from one location to other they should connect to other SSID easily.

What can I do now ?

• 4.  RE: Layer-3 (IP Mobility issue)

Posted Mar 02, 2015 06:18 AM

Hi Friend,

In general, roaming means, when a client move from one AP to another AP on the same SSID means, associating SSID should be same . when SSIDs are different the association process should start from the beginning ( re connection ).

the benefit of the roaming process is , it will avoid reconnection ( possible to avoid re authentication with OKC).

When both SSIDs are mapped to the same VLAN then it is called L2 roaming other wise is both are mapped to two different VLANs it is called L3 roaming.

Aruba can easily handle L3 roaming with in the same controller but you have configure IP mobility in case both SSIDs ( VAPs ) belongs to two different Controllers.

In your case I understood that, you are trying to deploy WLAN with two different SSIDs and VLANs, there is no way handle roaming in such scenario, client has to be deauthnticated from the first association (SSID) and it has to initiate association process with the new SSID.

As Victor suggested, you have to configure same VAP with VLAN pool or two different AP groups, different VAPs with different VLANs but SSID should be same.

Hope you got some more clarity.

Please feel free for any further query on this.