Wireless Access

last person joined: an hour ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Limit Client Connections to AP

This thread has been viewed 12 times
  • 1.  Limit Client Connections to AP

Posted Sep 24, 2012 06:06 AM

Hello

My level of knowledge on wireless and aruba wireless is limited. I am seeing 2 of my 56 APs that have between 9 and 11 clients connected to each of them. These 2 AP are not in the same area, but several others are. I have spectrum load balancing enabled and fast hand off assist enabled.

There should be at least 2 APs within the range of each AP that should take some of the clients. My question is there a way of telling the aruba controller to only allow x amount of clients at any one time?

I have A3600 Controller and AP105 nodes

Appreciate any help, in plain english please

thanks

Mark

• 2.  RE: Limit Client Connections to AP
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 24, 2012 07:13 AM

@qphs wrote:

Hello

My level of knowledge on wireless and aruba wireless is limited. I am seeing 2 of my 56 APs that have between 9 and 11 clients connected to each of them. These 2 AP are not in the same area, but several others are. I have spectrum load balancing enabled and fast hand off assist enabled.

There should be at least 2 APs within the range of each AP that should take some of the clients. My question is there a way of telling the aruba controller to only allow x amount of clients at any one time?

I have A3600 Controller and AP105 nodes

Appreciate any help, in plain english please

thanks

Mark

Since you said plain english, I will try to keep this short:

There is nothing wrong with access points having more clients than others.  The clients might find those two access points attractive either because they have better line of sight or they have more favorable RF conditions.

You only have a real problem when your clients start to complain, and when utilization and interference get too high.  Utilization and interference for access points can be monitored on the Dashboard (if you are using ArubaOS 6.1 and above) to determine if you have a problem with the green, amber, red indicators telling you if you have a problem at a glance.

Turning on Spectrum Load balancing allows access points that can see each other at a certain signal strength to form RF neighborhoods and load balance users.  If access points cannot see each other that well, they will not form a neighborhood and not load balance users between themselves.  More information on Spectrum Load Balancing is here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Command-of-the-Day/COTD-Spectrum-Load-Balancing/m-p/4698/highlight/true#M200

Also, do not use handoff assist, because some clients do not like to be forcibly deauthenticated.

• 3.  RE: Limit Client Connections to AP

Posted Sep 26, 2012 03:54 AM

Hi Many thanks for your assistance, understand

I'm on Aruba OS 5.1 so pretty old, don't think this has the monitoring feature you explain?

• 4.  RE: Limit Client Connections to AP

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 26, 2012 04:15 AM

You are right, ArubaOs 5.1 does not have the dashboard feature that I am referring to.  If you can use monitoring software like Airwave or question your users to make sure everything is okay, that would be good, as well.