Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Looking for a dual band 3x3 MIMO antenna with 30 degress or less

Hello Airheads,

I'm looking for a dual band 3x3 MIMO antenna to use with the AP-224 in a VHD environment. I'm looking for options with 30 degress or close to it. Could you please recommend the manufacturer and model for it?

Aruba provides a 60 degree option but I need less degrees.

Thank you,

Leonardo

Guru Elite

Re: Looking for a dual band 3x3 MIMO antenna with 30 degress or less

Do you need it for client access or mesh back haul?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

It's for client access

Aruba doesn't produce a 30deg x 30deg dual band antenna. The closest option is a dual-band 60deg. If you want to share your setup and requirements, I might have more information to offer, just let us know. 

Jerrod Howard
Sr. Techical Marketing Engineer

The requirement is to maximize the number of cells in overhead coverage environment. About 15 meters high, 75 x 50 m area. I need about 35 cells and 2.4GHz is a must.

What AP model are you planning to use? If the AP-228, then you can use separate 2.4 and 5Ghz antennas since those antenna connectors are not diplexed. However, using your numbers, to generate a cell for an approx 75x50m area at 15m AGL, 30deg would not be enough beamwidth, you would need ~60-90 deg min.

Assume radius of 35m (to cover approx 70x70 for easy math), at 15m height, drawing a right triangle, that angle at the top would be approx 60deg, for a 120deg beamwidth need. Using a 60deg or 90deg antenna would be determined by your spacing/overlap ratio plans. But 30deg seems kind of narrow for such a small cell at such a short height. A 30deg antenna aimed straight down at 15m elevation would give a coverage of 4m radius or 8m diameter. That's too small.

Jerrod Howard

AP-224, I do not need one big cell. For the amount of users in this space I planned 35 micro cells, that's the reason for the 30 deg bw antenna.

35 cells in a 50x75m area? Makes more sense...

Just note that Aruba doesn't support the use of 3rd party antennas (we can't validate their radio and RF characteristics), so this would be a use at your own risk kind of antenna solution for the 224 and warrants testing. Unfortunately, Aruba as a vendor doesn't make RP-SMA-based 30deg dual band high gain antennas.

Jerrod Howard

I have a similar scenario.

A few 200 person seating sections, sitting 35.5 feet high at the center of the section, angled about 40 degrees. Antenna is 55 feet high, giving a 19.5 height in relation to the seating sections. 30x30 degree antenna would give me about a 39ft fresnel at the seats.  The ANT-4x4-5314 would cover me for 5Ghz, but i haven't a solution for the 2.4. A 3x3 version of the ANT-2x2-2314 would be a good fit. But this will only work using an AP-228. Since there is no 30x30 degree RP-SMA antenna it seems I cannot use the AP-224. With a 30x30 degree I was going to use 2 APs per section.

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: