Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MAC-based authentication, hot implementation

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  MAC-based authentication, hot implementation

Posted Nov 20, 2014 12:05 PM

Hi.

I'm working in a school and I inherited an aruba wlan with 24 AP and a controller "3200" acting as master.

I'm new to aruba interfaces and partially also to wifi.

Actually clients (100 more or less) connect thru a wpa-psk key to a single ssid but now we would like to introduce a MAC based authentication. I read how to do that but i'd like to understand which would be the best practice to implement the service without causing interruption (i need some times to collect mac address from clients).
    In other words (I apologize for my english), may I introduce gradually the mac based authentication? Should I create a new ssid, or a new profile? Thank you.

• 2.  RE: MAC-based authentication, hot implementation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 20, 2014 12:07 PM
    What radius server will you be using?

• 3.  RE: MAC-based authentication, hot implementation

Posted Nov 20, 2014 12:12 PM

@cappalli wrote:
    What radius server will you be using?
    No radius server available, I was thinking to use internal database

• 4.  RE: MAC-based authentication, hot implementation

EMPLOYEE

• 5.  RE: MAC-based authentication, hot implementation

Posted Nov 21, 2014 05:36 AM

@cappalli wrote:

check this out

http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/ArubaOS_60/UserGuide/MAC_Authentication.php

Thank  You.

I read one more time the chapter but I understand that to activate MAC autentication I had to chenge the AAA profile anf this will affect all user of the current SSID.

Instead, I would like to migrate gradually  clients STA towards MAC authentication.

• 6.  RE: MAC-based authentication, hot implementation

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Nov 21, 2014 05:38 AM
    Just make your initial and MAC default role the same and you can slowly add in users manually.

• 7.  RE: MAC-based authentication, hot implementation

Posted Nov 21, 2014 10:35 AM

@cappalli wrote:
    Just make your initial and MAC default role the same and you can slowly add in users manually.

Fine!

Just to be safer and to get better understanding of how things work, which are the steps to follow to get a new SSID with the new feature?  I understand that the question could seems too wide but the manual I'm reading is too much detailed and I need some "glue" to put pieces together and I'd like to have a kind of sand-box to play with it.