Wireless Access

last person joined: 8 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MIMO antennas in opposite directions

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  MIMO antennas in opposite directions

MVP
    Posted Apr 27, 2012 04:09 AM

Antenna diversity requires the antenna's to be in close proximity and to cover the same area.

Is this also the case for MIMO?

What actually happens when we point 1 (directional) antenna of a 2x2 MIMO radio in the oposite direction of the other antenna? Will this result in a 1x1 area in both direction or simply a broken setup?

What would happen if we point the antennas towards the same area but have a distance of 10-15m (or more?) inbetween them?

• 2.  RE: MIMO antennas in opposite directions

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 27, 2012 10:07 AM

I asked a similar question a while ago.  I don't think this is really best practice.  You could end up with 'hidden node' problems.

As for seperating the antennas, if they are pointed to the same area that should be fine, as long as there are no areas where a client can only 'hear' one antenna.

I'm no expert though, so other people may have some ideas.

:smileyhappy:

• 3.  RE: MIMO antennas in opposite directions

MVP
    Posted May 02, 2012 06:07 AM

Hehe, thank you for your input. I offcourse realize is't not the preferred setup but that doesn't say it is impossible to do.

Since this spicific application would be for low bandwidth application the hidden node issue shouldn't be too much of a bother.

So any (Aruba) expert that knows if this will/should./could work or not?