Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

MM 8.0.1 - Promiscuous mode

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  MM 8.0.1 - Promiscuous mode

Posted Mar 30, 2017 03:02 PM

Anyone know if promiscuous mode is necessary for the Mobility Master virtual machine to function? And what would not function properly without it enabled?

My virtual team is hesitant to enable promiscuous mode on all our VM hosts so if I need promiscuous my VM is going to be pinned to a specific host. I'm wondering if i can go without it. One MM, no mobility master redundancy.

Also, anyone know if a destributed switch is supported? The documentation show setup through a standard switch in VMWare.

• 2.  RE: MM 8.0.1 - Promiscuous mode

Posted Mar 31, 2017 04:24 AM
    The documentation says that a "vSwitch Promiscuous mode enabled" must be used. I do not know the consequences of not doing this though.

• 3.  RE: MM 8.0.1 - Promiscuous mode

• 4.  RE: MM 8.0.1 - Promiscuous mode

Posted Mar 21, 2018 11:40 AM

Promiscuous Mode and Forged transmits are required for the solution to function properly and must be enabled otherwise the solution will not be supported by TAC or Engineering.

Promiscuous mode needs to be enabled on our virtualized platforms, specifically VMM or VMC as they are actually a virtualized switch. This is true of any product that virtualizes a switching plane where the MAC address is separate from the interface and where it listens for network broadcasts.

Forged Transmits must also be enabled on the vSwitch/Port group for VRRP.

If unable to enable the above in the environment you are using (usuall Public Cloud or shared VM Host Environments), a couple of viable options are as follows:

1)  Dedicate a vswitch or port group and enable Promiscuous Mode and Forged Transmits there.

2)  Use hardware Mobility Masters or controllers