Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Migrating from VRRP failover to HA fast failover

Hi all,

Just read about HA fast failover in the user guide. Implementation seems straight forward, but I'm wondering if I should prepare for any downtime as I move from VRRP to active/standby HA.

Thanks,
Pete

Re: Migrating from VRRP failover to HA fast failover

Please see below for some guidelines on migrating.  Because you are changing the AP system profile, I would plan for a short amount of downtime.  However, totally worth it!!

1+1 Active Standby model

In this model, the active controller serves all APs, while the standby waits to support failover when the active goes down.

• Remove VRRP IP address as the LMS of the APs from the AP system-profile.
  • Configure C1’s controller-ip address as the LMS for the APs.
  • Configure C2's controller-ip address as the bkup-lms-ip for the APs.
  • Configure C1’s controller-ip in ha group-profile with role as active.
  • Configure C2’s controller-ip in ha group-profile with role as dual or standby.
  • Configure ha group-membership on C1 and C2, with both in same ha group.

1:1 Active Active model

This model is deployed with each controller serving 50% of total APs. Let’s say half of the APs belong to set A1 and remaining to set A2.

• Remove VRRP IP address as the LMS of both sets of APs from the AP system-profile.
  • Configure C1’s controller-ip address as the LMS for the APs in set A1.
  • Configure C2’s controller-ip address as the LMS for the APs in set A2.
  • Configure C1’s controller-ip in ha group-profile with role as dual.
  • Configure C2’s controller-ip in ha group-profile with role as dual.
Seth R. Fiermonti
Consulting Systems Engineer - ACCX, ACDX, ACMX
Email: seth@hpe.com
-----
If you found my post helpful, please give kudos
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for responding Seth. That's what I suspected.. Much appreciated!

SethFiermonti wrote:

how do i do this from the GUI? i only see the option in the CLI is that correct?

user guide doesnt mention it but HA FF group membership can be configured at Advanced Services > Redundancy (in 6.3.1.4 at least)

btw, if you are moving from a master / master backup config then HA FF wont work, see the release 6.3.1.x release notes:

Bug ID: 80206
Symptom: The high availability:fast failover feature introduced in ArubaOS 6.3 does not support a deployment model where a VRRP-based redundant master pair (a master controller and standby-master controller) is also configured as high availability active-standby pair.
Scenario: This topology is not supported because the high availability: fast failover feature does not allow the APs to form standby tunnels to the standby master.
Workaround: None

for me it did work for some APs (tested with 5, first time only 1 worked, second time 3) but the ones that didnt work got lost in limbo until they were power cycled. after two tests i felt it was enough and went back to VRRP.

Contributor I

This bug is fixed in ArubaOS 6.4.0.3

80206 Symptom: The high availability: fast failover feature introduced in ArubaOS 6.3 did not support VRRPbased
LMS redundancy in a deployment with master-master redundancy. This topology is supported
inArubaOS 6.4.
Scenario: This issue occurred because the high availability: fast failover feature does not allow the APs to
form standby tunnels to the standby master controller.

Occasional Contributor I

I found this thread searching for the exact commands for configuring the Active/Active setup... thanks for the tips.  Two questions:

1.  The 6.3 User Guide states that a bkup-lms-ip should be configured when doing the migration from VRRP to HA FF, however I don't see that in your list.  Should I configure bkup-lms-ip or will the HA FF group-profile handle the backup tunnel for me?

2.  We run master/backup-master with no APs connected to them.  I assume continuing to run VRRP for them but configuring HA FF for all of their locals is fine (i.e. not going to trigger the 6.3 bug with master/backup-master).  Am I correct?

Occasional Contributor I

For anyone finding this thread trying to answer my "backup-lms" question above, I made my change without the "backup-lms" command and HAFF works as expected. 

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: