Wireless Access

Regular Contributor II

Migration to a new DHCP server

I am migrating from the internal database to an external database and during the migration I want to use the internal until all the clients have been moved. I have setup a different VLAN for the new server.

Question: Do I put an IP address helper on the controller or on my core switch for the new VLAN?

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Migration to a new DHCP server

[ Edited ]

Hi jcameron,

If the layer3 routing (default gateway IP) is taking place at your controller then you'll have to situate it there as what will happen is:

Host PC sends DHCP request

Hits controllers default gateway IP

Controller converts DHCP request into a unicast packet from it's own source IP (the gateway IP within the VLAN the host PC is inside) and the destination of the helper (external DHCP server).

DHCP server in different VLAN responds to the unicast request with a Offer and controller forwards it on

Of course, if you have DHCP still enabled and running on the controller locally as well as an external DHCP server, the local, unless it runs out of addresses, should always win the Offer race and so until the controller DHCP scope is disabled I'd imagine the external server won't lease any addresses successfully.

Hopefully this helps? Also this is my first post and I'm somewhat new to Aruba but this is network fundamentals so should be sound ;-)

Super Contributor II

Please see below problem and advice. Thank you in advance

Thanks & Regards
Syed Murad Ali
ACMP ACMA CCNA
Guru Elite

[ Edited ]

syedmuradali wrote:

Please see below problem and advice. Thank you in advance

Syedmuradali,

From the diagram, I cannot tell exactly what your problem is, or what you have tried to fix it.  Please open a new thread and state what your issue is so we can help.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Super Contributor II

Thanks for your immediate response. I tried my best but unfortunately didn't find any button to open the new thread. my bad...

Thanks & Regards
Syed Murad Ali
ACMP ACMA CCNA
Guru Elite

What are the details of your problem?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Super Contributor II

Reference to attached file. We have install MC3600 with AP92 in routed network. AP are attached in VLAN327 and getting IP from external DHCP Server. The MC is attached with Core switch into VLAN105. From the MC we can ping to ip address of AP and all other network devices. from console for AP we can ping to controller and all other network devices. AP is broadcasting SSID, but when client want to connect to SSID it doesn't get the IP address from the DHCP server. 

MC has configure with VLAN. and every VLAN has been assigned with IP address, default gateway and IP Helper address.

Below is the AP Boot Log for your reference

AG7240: enet unit:0 is up...                            
RGMii 1000Mbps full duplex                          
AG7240: done cfg2 0x7215 ifctl 0x0 miictrl                                          
ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): bond0: link becomes ready                                                  
10.9.250.11 255.255.255.0 10.9.250.1                                    
Running ADP...Done. Master is 10.202.25.2                                         
ath_hal: module license 'Proprietary' taints kernel.                                                    
ath_hal: 0.9.17.1 (AR5416, AR9380, REGOPS_FUNC, PRIVATE_DIAG, WRITE_EEPROM, 11D)                                                                                

ath_rate_atheros: Copyright (c) 2001-2005 Atheros Communications, Inc, All Right
s Reserved
ath_rate_atheros: Aruba Networks Rate Control Algorithm
ath_dfs: Version 2.0.0
Copyright (c) 2005-2006 Atheros Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved
ath_spectrum: Version 2.0.0
Copyright (c) 2005-2006 Atheros Communications, Inc. All Rights Reserved
ath_dev: Copyright (c) 2001-2007 Atheros Communications, Inc, All Rights Reserve
d
ath_pci: 0.9.4.5 (Atheros/multi-bss)
wifi0: Base BSSID d8:c7:c8:79:3a:40, 16 available BSSID(s)
bond0 address=d8:c7:c8:cf:93:a4
br0 address=d8:c7:c8:cf:93:a4
wifi0: AP type AP-92, radio 0, max_bssids 16
wifi0: Atheros 9280: mem=0x10000000, irq=48 hw_base=0xb0000000

Starting FIPS KAT ... Completed FIPS KAT

shutting down watchdog process (nanny will restart it)...

<<<<<       Welcome to the Access Point     >>>>>

~ # cert_cap=0
vap aruba000 vlan is 327. not discovering tunnel vlan

Moreover please do let me know how to start new thread.. although its stupid question but i dont fine the way :-( Sorry for inconvinience

Thanks & Regards
Syed Murad Ali
ACMP ACMA CCNA
Guru Elite

In the Virtual AP for that WLAN on the Mobility Controller, there is a VLAN option.  That VLAN must exist on the Mobility Controller for clients to get an ip address.  All client traffic is tunneled back to the controller and they get ip addresses from a VLAN that is either on a trunk or access port on the controller.

Colin Joseph

Super Contributor II

In the Virtual AP for that WLAN on the Mobility Controller, there is a VLAN option.  That VLAN must exist on the Mobility Controller for clients to get an ip address.

This is already done!!! but still clients are unable to get the IP address. any other advice please

Thanks & Regards
Syed Murad Ali
ACMP ACMA CCNA
Super Contributor II

~ # cert_cap=0
vap aruba000 vlan is 327. not discovering tunnel vlan

Please do let me know what does this error means??

Thanks & Regards
Syed Murad Ali
ACMP ACMA CCNA
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: