Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor I

Monitoring down Access Points through Controller with SNMP

Dear Community

According to this article https://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/tkb/articleprintpage/tkb-id/ControllerBasedWLANs/article-id/548 I should be able to get the number of down APs. But when I walk through the MIB there we're no results found. I want to monitor if an AP gets down.

To show the total number of APs that are down:

snmpwalk -v 2c -m ALL -c <snmp community name> <Master controller IP
addr> .1.3.6.1.4.1.14823.2.2.1.1.3.4.1.6 | grep 'INTEGER: 2' |wc -l

The CLI equivalent of this command is "show ap global-list location 0.0.0". (In ArubaOS 3.x, it is "show ap database inactive".) This SNMP poll must be run against the Aruba Master Controller.

Kind Regards

Marc

Occasional Contributor I

Re: Monitoring down Access Points through Controller with SNMP

Now I am trying to monitor down APs by reading the REST API XML File which contains all APs in a list. I don't know if the controller also provides this function but in my case I try with AirWave.

Link to XML: https://airwave/ap_list.xml

I created a Javascript which parses the XML and checks for each down AP.

Problem: To get the XML file there's a login required. It's not a basic HTML Login.

Does anybody know if there's a possibility to access the XML without a login? Scheduled task on AirWave?

Guru Elite

Unfortunately, there is not a known way around this.  It might be a security issue if that was available.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

How would you monitor your Accesspoints?

Guru Elite

Airwave itself allows you to have triggers to alert when access points go down, or Up:  http://www.arubanetworks.com/techdocs/AirWave_8_0_Web_Help/UserGuide.htm#AWUserGuide/Chapter7_DailyTasks/Creating_New_Triggers.htm?Highlight=trigger

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Occasional Contributor I

Allright I knew there are options like this.

We are working with an external monitoring tool (WhatsUp Gold). We're monitoring our customers infrastructure and if a device gets down we get an SMS alert. There are customers without AirWave. Thats why I have to bring the information to our monitoring tool.

Occasional Contributor I

Does anybody know a solution to monitor down APs through controller using snmp?

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: