Wireless Access

Occasional Contributor II

Monitoring guest bandwidth usage?

I want to be able to see which the amount of data being transfered to/from a user. Is there an "easy" way to get this information? I can see the data rate "live" but not amount of bandwidth consummed.

I have an Aruba 3200 controller with software 6.1.3.9

Thanks!

Guru Elite

Re: Monitoring guest bandwidth usage?

Two words....radius accounting

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Guru Elite

Do you have AirWave?

Tim Cappalli | Aruba Security TME
@timcappalli | timcappalli.me | ACMX #367 / ACCX #480

I don't think I have AirWave.

If I have to look it up, it probably means I don't! lol

Thanks

Hmmm, Radius Accounting??

These are "guest" users with BYOD.

I have just limited the maximum bandwidth usage to 500kbps per user in the problematic role.

Hopefully this helps!

Aruba Employee

[ Edited ]

Airwave is the Aruba Management Platform.  It's used for monitoring and managing Aruba and other vendor's wireless and wired gear.  Chances are, if you don't know about, you don't have it. :-)

Is it a matter of seeing your bandwidth being over utilized?  You can set restrictions and throttle them if you'd like, but you are going to need Airwave or to look at the switch side to get the bandwidth use by client reporting, or Radius Accounting as mentioned.

Yes, some users are hogging the bandwidth.

Not to get into the technical details of our network, but traffic is monitored via the controllers IP.

Can only see what is being pushed to and from it. When our internet bandwidth gets saturated, the controller is always in the top 5 and is usually #1

So I wanted to know if I could narrow it down to which user(s) are responsible for this.

We have since blocked the website that these users were accessing (video on demand) and all is better now. But would have been nice to see who was at fault.

MVP

perhaps AppRF can help, but that requires much newer firmware, with which you gotta be careful it supports your older APs.

also it will show current active sessions. for history AirWave is the place to go.

perhaps not the answer you want but the controller is simply not build to be your traffic control / log system.

Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: