Wireless Access

last person joined: 6 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Moving two stand alone master controllers to a master local design

This thread has been viewed 1 times
  • 1.  Moving two stand alone master controllers to a master local design

Posted Jun 22, 2012 10:45 AM

Hello

I have a customer(school district) that has two master stand alone controllers at two different locations. We are planning to move them to a central location and convert them to a Master/Local design. One is a M3 and the other is a 3600. The 3600 will become the only master and obviously the M3 will be the local. The 3600 has an embedded 64 count license which will stay of course. All the remaining license will be moved to the M3. There will be one location of AP's that will be required to terminate to the 3600 until they can purchase more licenses for the M3. All other AP's will terminate to the M3.

My question is, what would be the most efficient way of accomplishing the end result with the least amount of headaches?

I appreciate the responses!! :smileyhappy:

David

• 2.  RE: Moving two stand alone master controllers to a master local design

Posted Jun 22, 2012 01:37 PM

First, I would make sure that you are able to transfer the license/s to the M3.  Since both controllers are currently Masters, you need to make sure before you do the swap that each one has the same configuration.  If you don't, the config from the master will overwrite the local.  I would do a side to side comparison with both controllers until they both match.

If you want to have a low down time, I would send the APs to the local controller since you will be moving the master to a different location.  Also, you will most likely be changing subnets due to the move/s, are u sure no devices need a current subnet IP?

• 3.  RE: Moving two stand alone master controllers to a master local design

Posted Jun 22, 2012 02:12 PM

Why would I not be able to transfer the licenses to the M3? I know the embedded licenses on the 3600 will not transfer.

My plan was to get a copy of both configs and do a file comparison and see what needs to be added to what will be the Master. The controller being moved will get a new IP. Not sure I understand your last question "are u sure no devices need a current subnet IP?"

• 4.  RE: Moving two stand alone master controllers to a master local design

Posted Jun 22, 2012 09:55 PM
    What is the license count on each controller currently?
    How many APs are terminating on each controller? 
    If there are enough licenses to accomodate all the APs on 3600 controller then you could follow the following procedure
    1. Create a AP-group on the M3 controller with AP system profile LMS pointing to IP address of 3600 controller 
    2. Create the exact same group on the 3600 controller 
    3. Re-provision the APs on the M3 controller to the newly created group and set the "Master" IP to that of 3600 controller 
    4. Once the APs have moved to 3600 controller,
    a. configure the M3 as a local controller to 3600 (masterip.....)
    b. Configure the 3600 as master of M3 controller (localip ......)
    5. Step 4 will require a reboot of the M3 controller only 
    6. Once M3 controller comes up it will sync the configuration from the Master controller i.e. 3600 
    7. Now, change the LMS IP to that of the M3 controller under the AP system profile to move the APs to the local controller. 
    Hope it helps ! 
    Regards, 
    --
    HT 

• 5.  RE: Moving two stand alone master controllers to a master local design

Posted Jun 25, 2012 06:48 PM

I'm just saying that if any of the deivces that are on the current IP subnet will break if they re-IP to a different subnet?  Are any devices setup statically? Just trying to pin point where issues might arise if they change IP address.

• 6.  RE: Moving two stand alone master controllers to a master local design

Posted Jun 26, 2012 02:58 PM

I dont have the exact counts on the licensing but when it is all said and done there will only be a 64 embedded license on the 3600 and there will be a limited amount of elementary school APs attached to it. The remaining license on the 3600 will be moved to the M3. All the other school's APs will terminate to the M3 when this is all done.

So I should be able to swing all the AP's from the M3 to the 3600 temporarily and put them in the default AP group until I get the M3 setup as a local right? Then I can move them into the appropriate groups that will point them to either the 3600 or the M3. 

• 7.  RE: Moving two stand alone master controllers to a master local design

Posted Jun 27, 2012 02:07 PM

@drthibod wrote:

I dont have the exact counts on the licensing but when it is all said and done there will only be a 64 embedded license on the 3600 and there will be a limited amount of elementary school APs attached to it. The remaining license on the 3600 will be moved to the M3. All the other school's APs will terminate to the M3 when this is all done.

So I should be able to swing all the AP's from the M3 to the 3600 temporarily and put them in the default AP group until I get the M3 setup as a local right? Then I can move them into the appropriate groups that will point them to either the 3600 or the M3. 

Yes. That should work.