Wireless Access

last person joined: 20 hours ago 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Noise Floor is high

This thread has been viewed 18 times
  • 1.  Noise Floor is high

Posted Apr 23, 2018 12:28 AM

Hello everyone,

I currently get a problem about noise floor with our Aruba access point ( 205 series)

We have 6 APs, place in a very short distance ( about 1 meter for all 6)
    This is because our datacenter require a group of APs served for a big number of mobile devices, in same rack space

I've check the noise floor and see it is high for 2.4Ghz and good for 5Ghz

kobiton02.jpg

Is there anything else that we can configure for reduce the noise?

Thank you very much

• 2.  RE: Noise Floor is high

Posted Apr 23, 2018 01:42 AM
    Hi You can problem in 2,4 GHz banda, by co-channel interference. In the band 5Ghz I cant see very problem with noise. You remember that noise It ready different to Signal. when you read noise is better -100dbm than -50dbm, in Signal os different id better -50dbm than -100dbm. Regards

#AirheadsMobile

• 3.  RE: Noise Floor is high

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2018 02:21 AM

@thaovo wrote:

Hello everyone,

I currently get a problem about noise floor with our Aruba access point ( 205 series)

We have 6 APs, place in a very short distance ( about 1 meter for all 6)
    This is because our datacenter require a group of APs served for a big number of mobile devices, in same rack space

I've check the noise floor and see it is high for 2.4Ghz and good for 5Ghz

kobiton02.jpg

Is there anything else that we can configure for reduce the noise?

Thank you very much

Did you type that you have 6 access points within a meter of each other in a datacenter?  Why 6 access points?  That seems excessive.

You could have that noise floor because your datacenter has interference (try turning on spectrum), but you should not have 6 access point in the space of a meter; that would make your problem worse.

• 4.  RE: Noise Floor is high

Posted Apr 23, 2018 02:50 AM

Hi Colin,
    Thanks for your reply, but we have about 300 mobiles devices in 2 rack space, so 6 access point is used for 300 mobile devices.
    We cannot arrange the AP in a longer range

• 5.  RE: Noise Floor is high

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2018 02:57 AM

The noise could be the devices interfering with each other because they are so close.  That noise number is not bad if you have 300 devices packed into that space.  Do those client devices work being so close together?  I would also be worried about distortion from having the access points so close together.

• 6.  RE: Noise Floor is high

Posted Apr 23, 2018 03:10 AM

I see in RF Dashboard, the indicators look good, except noise

normal.JPG

Could you please show me how to check the distortion? Thanks

• 7.  RE: Noise Floor is high

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Apr 23, 2018 03:27 AM

There is no distortion counter, but it would manifest itself as higher retries, and possibly higher noise, like in your situation.

In my opinion, your noise number is high for a typical deployment but not high for what you are trying to do right now, based on the limited information you supplied about your deployment.  Noise could go higher with more traffic or any external interference.