Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

One SSID has low signal and disconnects while all others dont.

This thread has been viewed 2 times
  • 1.  One SSID has low signal and disconnects while all others dont.

Posted Sep 17, 2013 10:52 AM

I have a customer with an APgroup that is broadcasting 5 SSIDs. At one location I'm receiving a complaint that 1 of the SSIDs is showing low signal quality and is dropping clients. It hovers around 1 bar and slowly drops. When a user connects to a different SSID sitting in the same location, the signal is fine at 3-4 bars. This complaint has only come from one school.

The network that is dropping clients and showing low connection is specifically for IPads and tablets. The tech at the school connected to it with her laptop and saw the change in bars via windows.

All the APs have been up for 5 days or more.

and as a side question, what is "STA has left and is deauthenticated"? I've seen it while troubleshooting lately and since its such a common output from show commands, I can' find a definition.

• 2.  RE: One SSID has low signal and disconnects while all others dont.

Posted Sep 17, 2013 10:55 AM

sorry, just noticed that this is the wrong forum. Couldn't  find a delete or change button....

• 3.  RE: One SSID has low signal and disconnects while all others dont.

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Sep 17, 2013 11:09 AM

@playinpearls wrote:

I have a customer with an APgroup that is broadcasting 5 SSIDs. At one location I'm receiving a complaint that 1 of the SSIDs is showing low signal quality and is dropping clients. It hovers around 1 bar and slowly drops. When a user connects to a different SSID sitting in the same location, the signal is fine at 3-4 bars. This complaint has only come from one school.

The network that is dropping clients and showing low connection is specifically for IPads and tablets. The tech at the school connected to it with her laptop and saw the change in bars via windows.

All the APs have been up for 5 days or more.

and as a side question, what is "STA has left and is deauthenticated"? I've seen it while troubleshooting lately and since its such a common output from show commands, I can' find a definition.

If you have 4 SSIDs or more, you end up with alot of beacon traffic.  That combined with regular data causes more collisions, which means that some beacons are not seen by clients and those clients average out the signal strength for that SSID to be lower.  That is only the beginning as more management traffic will squeeze throughput and degrade it.  As a test, reduce the number of SSIDs to 3 and see if you have the same issues.  4 should be the maximum number of SSIDs you should broadcast for good performance and of those, you should limit the ones that only support b/g to b/g only so that they do not consume airtime on the 5ghz spectrum.

STA has left and is deauthenticated is seen on a roam or when a device shuts down, leaving the system.  By itself it is not a troublesome message.

Please see my article on removing wireless bottlenecks here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Technology-Blog/Removing-the-Bottleneck-in-Wireless/ba-p/77978 for more information..