Wireless Access

last person joined: yesterday 

Access network design for branch, remote, outdoor, and campus locations with HPE Aruba Networking access points and mobility controllers.
Expand all | Collapse all

Output power for AP 225

This thread has been viewed 0 times
  • 1.  Output power for AP 225

Posted Jan 08, 2016 06:35 AM

Hello,

I have one design question about coverage study and output power for AP 225.

I have read that AP 225 has 23dBm for aggregate output power, so each strem has 18 dBm power. So the sum of wats for each strem give 23dBm in total, being 3 the available streams.

The question is that I think we should consider only 18dBm as output power in order to see in a coverage study the signal level in one location, provided that most of clients devices doesn't have 3 spatial strems nor 2., most of smartphones only have 1 or 2 spatial streams.

In addition, if we are planning for an interior area with no cubicles, and no rooms, I think we should consider not to use 18dBm as output power for coverage study, but 12-15 dBm, because most of clients devices doesn't have such power in their transmission radios.

What do you think about this subject??

Thank you

• 2.  RE: Output power for AP 225

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 08, 2016 06:41 AM

You are correct.  In an area with no obstructions, RF travels hundreds of feet.  The power should not be greater than 12 in that scenario for the AP225.

• 3.  RE: Output power for AP 225

Posted Jan 08, 2016 06:56 AM

Thank you Colin,

Should we have the same consideration even if the area is not free of obstructions, like normal office areas??.

If we consider output power 23 dBm, (aggregate power), then we have less AP than neccesary for coverage......

• 4.  RE: Output power for AP 225
    Best Answer

EMPLOYEE
    Posted Jan 08, 2016 04:09 PM

jgarciav,

For planning, please see the 802.11ac VRD here:  http://community.arubanetworks.com/t5/Validated-Reference-Design/Aruba-802-11ac-Networks/ta-p/242637 for more detailed information.