Wireless Access

Aruba Employee

Per User rate limiting and SSID rate limiting in the same time

Hi All,

I would like to implement rate mimiting for Guest access. The idea is to limit each individual guest to appropriate bandwidth (for example 8mbit/s download and 4 mbit/s upload). But in the same time if I have more guests on the network I would like to protect WAN bandwidth and to limit all guests users just to 30 mbit/s download and 20 mbit/s upload. 

So first per user rate limitation should be applied and then per SSID rate limitation should be applied. 

Is it possible, please?

My second question regarding rate limitiation is if rate limitation is not contraproductive to fact that I want to serve all my wireless users ASAP to keep my channel clean as soon as possible.

So for example if Guest is trying to download 100 MB file with full rate (without limitation) then this guest will occupy my channel shorter time then with rate limitation to 8 mbit/s. 

Is my assumption correct and rate limiting could be contraproductive to keeping channel free?

THX

Miro

Contributor II

Re: Per User rate limiting and SSID rate limiting in the same time

In case of controller, you can configure rate limit for role, user, ap group in both of stream under role.

For iAP, in SSID can be configured per user or SSID.

Thank you,
Ratchapas S.
Aruba Employee

Maybe I didn't write it so clear as it should be.

I need to setup two kind of rate limiting in the same time.

One is per user rate limiting and also in the same time per role rate limitting.

Would it be possible basically to rate limit users individually and in the same time to setup that all users in particular role/ssid can't overpass certain bandwidth.

THX

Miro

Guru Elite

Limiting the rate by user or group is mutually exclusive:  You can only do one or the other using a role with your current WLAN setup.

Checking to make sure that users do not consume over a certain bandwidth and doing something about it requires an external policy server like ClearPass, which would measure user traffic via radius accounting and then do something.

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

Hi Colin,

but with radius accounting you are able to check amount of data (MB) send and received by the user. If I am not mistaken, you are not able to check/limit upload and download speed (mbs).

So I think even CPPM won't help me to limit per user and per SSID speed in the same time.

Guru Elite

Let's talk about requirements.  What is the requirement and has it been implemented anywhere else?

Colin Joseph

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba Employee

So basically we are planning to add some Guests to network and we want to protect MPLS uplinks to be congested by Guest traffic (BYOD, IoT, Guest SSIDs).

So basically we have 3 SSIDs which can't consume more then certain % of the MPLS uplink.

Lets imagine that certain % of MPLS uplink is 40 Mbits. So in one hand all those 3 SSIDs can't consume more then 40 Mbits of uplink but in the same time, if I have just one user connected to BYOD SSID and no user on IoT and Guest then I do not want let this one user consume all 40 Mbits, I want to give him just 8 Mbits of download and 1 Mbits of upload.

So if I have 5 users connected they still have 8 Mbits download each and per site it will be still 40 Mbits.

But if I have 10 users connected we can't give them together 80 Mbits of download, so that is a reason to have in the same time rate limiting to keep all those three SSIDs together below 40 Mbits.

THX

Guru Elite

Ok.

Are you using remote APS, a controller or instant APs at that remote site?  That would determine what we can do from here..

Colin Joseph

Aruba Employee

We have basically two scenarios:

1. Controller on site with CAPs -> larger sites

2. for smaller sites we have centralized controller in DC and each AP on small site is conneted over MPLS to this centralized controller using GRE. So clasicall CAPs but over MPLS to controller in DC

THX

Miro

Search Airheads
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: