Wireless Access

Aruba

Persistent and Backup ssid questions

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I was wondering about persistent and backup ssids and are they only available exclusively for RAPs or normal APs provisioned as RAPs?  Can I set this on a CAP, beit with cpsec and bridge mode?

Normally with a bridge ssid using dot1x auth for clients, the controller still handles the dot1x stuff, and all other traffic is bridged. 

If the ssid is persistent, as is recommended for dot1x, does this mean that the dot1x stuff is also bridged, or is it that the auths start to be bridged as well when the controller is unreachable?

What about persistent dot1x, controller down and clients roaming?  Are the master keys, or whatever they are, still distributed amongst APs, or will a roaming client cease to work?

Thanks

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
mclarke@arubanetworks.com
Guru Elite

Re: Persistent and Backup ssid questions

Michael_Clarke wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering about persistent and backup ssids and are they only available exclusively for RAPs or normal APs provisioned as RAPs?  Can I set this on a CAP, beit with cpsec and bridge mode?

Normally with a bridge ssid using dot1x auth for clients, the controller still handles the dot1x stuff, and all other traffic is bridged. 

If the ssid is persistent, as is recommended for dot1x, does this mean that the dot1x stuff is also bridged, or is it that the auths start to be bridged as well when the controller is unreachable?

Thanks

- Persistent and Backup SSIDs are only available for RAPs.  The user guide states this.

- When you say the auth is bridged, what do you mean?

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba

I meant the user dot1x auth.  In a bridge ssid with rap-operation normal the controller handles the dot1x stuff, with all other traffic bridged.  Is this still the case with rap-operatin of persistent?

If my post is helpful please give kudos, or mark as solved if it answers your post.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
Guru Elite

new authentication only occurs if the access point has contact with the controller

Colin Joseph
Aruba Customer Engineering

Looking for an Answer? Search the Community Knowledge Base Here: Community Knowledge Base

Aruba

ok, thanks Colin.

ACCP, ACMP, ACMX #294
Search Airheads
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: